Coughing and Sneezing Nigi

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My 3 month old Nigi wether started coughing and sneezing over the weekend. He does not have a fever or a snotty nose. He's eating, drinking, and playing normally. Any ideas? Could it be allergies?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Could be allergies, dust, mold. Is he UTD on dewormings?

You can try to give him some liquid children's Benadryl to see if that doesn't help and rule out allergies. You do have to work out the per lb dosage though.

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Would I use the weight chart for children on the Benadryl bottle?

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I don't have a bottle in front of me...so I'm not sure on that. You take the adult dose, which is based on a 150 lb person. Divide the dose by 150, then you have the per lb dose. Weigh the goat, and there you go.

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks! We'll see what happens. My other two are fine. Their hay is not moldy or dusty.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If the allergy meds don't help, I'd do a course of LA200 or similar to be safe. Never take upper resp. symptoms lightly in young goats, especially. Also make sure you're deworming with a wormer that controls lung worm.

mdoerge

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How often do you deworm? I use Ivermectin (cattle/swine) or Safeguard for goats.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Ivermec should get lungworms, but you do have to repeat dosing at least 3 times 10 days apart to get all stages (this is true, BTW, for ALL worms). If it's still even effective in your area, fenbendazole might also do the trick, but again, dose it three times min. Levamisole is also usually effective.

Goats should be dewormed at least quarterly, if not monthly in some climates - unless you are getting clean fecals.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
I don't have a bottle in front of me...so I'm not sure on that. You take the adult dose, which is based on a 150 lb person. Divide the dose by 150, then you have the per lb dose. Weigh the goat, and there you go.
This is a great idea and so simple I can remember it !

sillystunt

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
wait, if they sneeze they could have worms? I am confused cause my little nigerian wether does the same! We made sure the pen was dry, free off extra hay and he seems to do it when he eats. Do you think maybe he is allergic to something in the food?