Cut a hoof too short

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So... how long will my goat be sad and limpy? I quicked his front hoof, and he is not happy =/

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
some of them will take 2 or 3 days, but it happens sometimes. He will forgive you.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Whenever you plan to trim always keep some Crazy Glue handy. If you quick one just put some glue on it and hold it a few seconds to let it dry. We do this on show goats all the time and they never take a lame step. The Crazy Glue seals the hoof so the nerve is not exposed and no dirt gets in.

Donna

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Renegade said:
Whenever you plan to trim always keep some Crazy Glue handy. If you quick one just put some glue on it and hold it a few seconds to let it dry. We do this on show goats all the time and they never take a lame step. The Crazy Glue seals the hoof so the nerve is not exposed and no dirt gets in.

Donna
good advice, we have some liquid bandaid that would probably do the trick, but it's a little late this time =/ I will know for next time. Thanks :)

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Renegade said:

Donna
That's a really good idea!

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
You can also use tea bags and spider/cob webs. If it is bleeding alot and nothing works get a carriage bolt and a propane torch. Heat the end of the bolt until it is glowing and cauterize it. That works great. :)

jenlynn4

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
just wanted to say...I hope the little darling gets better quickly. I'm going to pay someone to trim for me at least untill I get familiar with it. I would be so afaraid i'd do the same thing.