Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been re-reading some of the thread... Erick may have had a "clostridium bloom"... sometimes the spores will suddenly proliferate... and they will seem fine one day and dead the next. We lost a couple calves out to pasture one time... and the vet said back then, that was it.
I think that is what your CDT shots are for.... maybe they were at the "end of the time frame" and they got exposed in the environment... and maybe they were exposed to other than the common type clostridiums... our cattle get a 7 or 8 way because it can be a real problem...... the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like a "blackleg" outbreak.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Erick was going through this at the same time I was losing lambs. It was during the incessant rains and our famous heat. I heard from other people who lost sheep and goats. I have NEVER had 2 month old lambs with loads of parasites. Never. It was either the worms were gonna kill them, or worming them with the toxic worm die off was going to kill them. It wasn’t a good place to be. I had to wean early because the ewes were wormy and getting dragged down by the worms and nursing lambs. It was only the ewes with lambs that got hit so hard. The ewes that were open were fine. I never want to see those days again.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that is what your CDT shots are for.... maybe they were at the "end of the time frame" and they got exposed in the environment... and maybe they were exposed to other than the common type clostridiums...
Erick doesn't vaccinate for CDT. A clostridium bloom with no vaccinations would certainly be a problem.

Had trouble getting on BYH and had to change my password. I had run a scan on the computers for viruses and malware. DH's computer had malware problems. It took 3 days for his comuter to complete the deep scan! DS1 had to talk me through setting it up over the phone.

Just as well we did not get a sofa since DD2 found one for free and doesn't want the loveseats anymore. I have decided not to buy a leather sofa anyway since most of them are ground up leather that is glued onto fabric. The leather eventually sloughs and peels off in bits like sawdust. I am thinking that a fabric sofa may be better with real leather recliners eventually when we replace our furniture. A fabric sofa will look better and give more color to the room since the walls are panelled in oak. Unless I decide to put a whitewash on the paneling the room is pretty dark. Not having to buy new furniture yet will allow us the extra money for other stuff.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
DS1 removd Patton from the ewes today. He has been with them for about 8 weeks. Hopefully they are all bred. In a month we will harness Junior and run him in with the ewes with a red crayon as a catch up ram. When DS1 put Patton back wth the rams, he smelled so like the ewes that both Patton and MoyBoy tried to tempt him into a "relationship". :lol: Then they went to head butting for seniority. LOL

DS1 also wormed the rams yesterday. One of the youngsters lpked like he had a slightly swollen jaw the day before they were wormed, but when DS1 wormed them it had disappeared. Possibly a bug bite or something.

DS1 picked up a hay spear and will be trying to move the round bales. He also went to Atwoods to get the supplement blocks and found that they had the 125 lb tubs. Since the weather has cooled down some, he got them instead since they won't melt in the heat. They are much cheaper than the solid protein blocks. We will use them during the inter and switch back t the blocks in the summer. Erick uses them but said that he had a big problem with thm during the heat. The young goat kids would jump on top of them and then sink into the tubs, getting trapped in the sticky molasses!
-1161759019298868122 (1).jpg This little kid was trapped all night! Took Erick 30 minutes to finally get her out of the sticky protein molasses tub in the morning. The Anatolians cleaned her off afterwards. LOL The goat kids are slightly smaller than the lambs so can get into the tubs easier but I plan to avoid using the sticky protein tubs during the hottest months and will switch over to the harder protein blocks during the summer.

DS1 says the sheep are eating the Bahia now and seem to be staying behind the electric netting. He will be emptying the side barn out and moving all the remaining corral shelter frames and 24' horse corral panels to the outside of the barn. He is considering lashing tarps to the pipe frames to make quick cheap sheep shelters for the fields. We have some pipe dog run frames from which I removed torn up chain link fencing. We used the panels for 30 years for everything from dogs, poultry, pigs, goats and sheep to fencing off the hay barn. The chain ink was so torn up and bent that I removed it before we transported them to TX. Now DS1 said he ight use them with tarps for shelters too. The best thing would be to replace the corrugated roof panels on the shelter panels, but tars would be cheaper for now. He wants to clear out the side barn so he can level the ground in there (where the dogs have dug cool nap spots) and start putting up the jugs. We will have to buy more jug gates before lambing starts although we can use some of the lightweight Jeffers panels for gates. Lambing season will start in January. Already?! :eek:
:thI will get home to TX just in time for the wet weather! DS1 wants to get some of the heavier panels put in place for the jugs for me. He is so good to me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your DS has it going on! Sounds like he’s doing a great job with the ranch. I know you can’t wait to get back home.

Are those protein tubs for sheep? I’ll have to check them out at the Atwoods in Lufkin. I just bought their brand of blue jeans (men’s) for $12 a pair. Had to try on every pair, sizes don’t run true. Kinda “roomy” definitely not tight jeans, but will work for me as farm jeans. You might want to point your menfolks in that direction.