Ridgetop - our place and how we muddle along

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been re-reading some of the thread... Erick may have had a "clostridium bloom"... sometimes the spores will suddenly proliferate... and they will seem fine one day and dead the next. We lost a couple calves out to pasture one time... and the vet said back then, that was it.
I think that is what your CDT shots are for.... maybe they were at the "end of the time frame" and they got exposed in the environment... and maybe they were exposed to other than the common type clostridiums... our cattle get a 7 or 8 way because it can be a real problem...... the more I thought about it, the more it sounded like a "blackleg" outbreak.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Erick was going through this at the same time I was losing lambs. It was during the incessant rains and our famous heat. I heard from other people who lost sheep and goats. I have NEVER had 2 month old lambs with loads of parasites. Never. It was either the worms were gonna kill them, or worming them with the toxic worm die off was going to kill them. It wasn’t a good place to be. I had to wean early because the ewes were wormy and getting dragged down by the worms and nursing lambs. It was only the ewes with lambs that got hit so hard. The ewes that were open were fine. I never want to see those days again.