Dairy goat showmanship question

GriffinRidgeFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm going to a show in April and we aren't bringing any milkers. We will be bringing 9 kids ( 6 does, 3 bucks ) and the oldest and best behaved one is a buckling. Do ya'll know if it's an accepted practice to use a buck for showmanship? I don't wan't to upset the other exhibitors... :)

GriffinRidgeFarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The West Georgia Open show, it's a senior, junior, and buck show.

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I was at a 3 ring show last weekend where there were 77 kids in showmanship. I don't think any of them used bucks. (And it was a Jr, Sr & buck show.)

I probably wouldn't risk it unless it was a very young buck. I just can't imagine a buck cooperating if you ended up next to a doe in heat. In fact, my daughter's Jr showmanship doe would probably knock down everything in the way if she was in heat and there was a buck in the ring. She's a perfect showmanship goat, but, um, quite boy crazy. LOL. If you really want to, I'd ask when you get there and have a doe for back-up just in case. My daughter is just itching to show a buck for some reason, LOL. We have our last show for the season in a weeks so maybe she'll get a chance if someone she knows has more than one or is tired.

Some year we are going to try to do a GA show, but the tests to cross state lines are really a pain!

Latest posts