Is it safe or no?

halfacrehomesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am nor sure if I picked the right forum so sorry if I didn't. My garden is not worth much any more thanks to such a terribly dry summer and I have let the weeds kind of take over. I was thinking I would bring my sheep into the garden to "clean it up" for me but I'm getting mixed messages as to what is okay or not okay for them to eat. I have a decent amount of tomato plants, just a couple of cucumber plants, maybe 4 pepper plants, and some marigolds. I wasnt sure what I need to get out of there before letting them chow down on the weeds. I have read some tomato plants are okay but not to many. How much though is too many?! If anyone has any thoughts I'd appreciate it!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Tomato, no.
Pepper, no.
Both are in the nightshade family.
Marigold, no.
Cucumber, yes.

If open to that area, but also good grazing, they'll eat what's safe and only take a bite or three of the bad stuff. Though, mine eat lots of unsafe plants willingly and seek them out. 🤷🏽‍♀️

halfacrehomesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Tomato, no.
Pepper, no.
Both are in the nightshade family.
Marigold, no.
Cucumber, yes.

If open to that area, but also good grazing, they'll eat what's safe and only take a bite or three of the bad stuff. Though, mine eat lots of unsafe plants willingly and seek them out. 🤷🏽‍♀️
Thanks!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goats are the remaining pepper plants, tomato leaves -- left vines. Everyone was fine. Like said, they eat best first!

halfacrehomesteader

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks. I keep holding on to hope for my few remaining tomatoes but I know they are just going to get eaten by bugs 😩 so I need to give up and let sheep in to take care of the weeds. Maybe I will let them in tomorrow and just keep watch. If they start to eat the stuff they aren't supposed to I will lure them out with some alfalfa pellets 😄.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve let my sheep in the garden at the end of summer. By that time the weeds had taken over and they ate what they wanted. Yes they ate tomato leaves, pepper leaves, no squash -leaves too prickly.

Latest posts