Dinner rabbits, Journal

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going to cull Gigi. Depending on what she has with Zippy, one might replace her or call culled.

Nana & Cocoa look similar in shape, both grumpy. Going to cull both. Might keep one of Cocoa's as replacement or cull all. Nana is due next week with Gold. Again, if a kit is worth replacing her, it will, otherwise, all culled.

Quin is being culled once kits are old enough. I'm not liking weights on previous litter. If either end up with a good shaped kit, it'll replace her, rest culled.

Haven't for sure gotten kits by Zippy, Jasper or Gold yet. Have bred Zippy a few times, failed with Xoh as the single buck used. Need them to step up or be culled.
Jasper has a sister growing faster than he did. Hope her silvering is as good. Will cull him soon. He didn't really want to breed does I offered a few days ago...
Zippy is by RM11, who was sold, so needing a replacement before culling him. Bred to Gigi due next week.
Gold doesn't need a replacement, but would be nice to see his kits at least before culling. Bred to Nana due next week.

Hoping Goliath gets his act fast. Want to cull Ebony, but want to breed her to him first. Same with Jessi.

I think I'm going to sell Baymax. Same with Rivian if he doesn't produce worthwhile kits soon.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Freckles doe. Not great.
Screenshot_20240228_170642_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20240228_170651_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20240228_170700_Video Player.jpg

Darkie kits. Adding new hay daily. Saw her grab mouthfuls of fur and eat it. So...definitely not by accident!!
20240228_160451.jpg

Wall didn't stop them. Ugh
20240228_161107.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see "cull" a lot. If I were raising rabbits, with whom I was getting so many unacceptable to me, I'd consider buying a couple does and a buck that WERE what I wanted to have. Then, if those breeding did not produce well, I'd have to look critically into my care OR expectations, for a reason. That would be, buy instead of keeping "something" from the unacceptable .

Maybe I'm missing something, since I'm just reading & looking....plus, I just cuddle bunnies. 🥰. But, any livestock breeding, requires new blood if results wane.

Last edited:

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see "cull" a lot. If I were raising rabbits, with whom I was getting so many unacceptable to me, I'd consider buying a couple does and a buck that WERE what I wanted to have. Then, if those breeding did not produce well, I'd have to look critically into my care OR expectations, for a reason. That would be, buy instead of keeping "something" from the unacceptable .

Maybe I'm missing something, since I'm just reading & looking....plus, I just cuddle bunnies. 🥰. But, any livestock breeding, requires new blood if results wane.
Rabbits produce mostly culls. Perfect adults don't produce tons of perfect kits. Even show stock will have mostly culls.
Either way, most is dog food, if perfect or not. I can't eat hundreds of rabbit a year.
Cull is kill. My food, dog food, doesn't matter. No way in heck most of any litter anywhere should be kept nor can it, I'm not rich. If you're selling every kit in a litter, your selling culls/trash as well.
Also, see this post.
I can't buy new if I have too many adults, again, I'm not rich.
Screenshot_20240229_073511_Chrome.jpg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I understand the theory. Just thought you wanted more as sales, vice food 🤷😊 I guess I'd need a lot of cull if I had two big dogs to feed 🤣

I'm in the mindset of selling enough of "whatever" to simply offset costs. Rather than the old mini horse days of making $$ on them! Now, thinking into retirement, yeah, a touch of profit would be great! 👍👍

I can see that you do seem to like your buns more than just a meat source....treating them well, etc. I could only do one litter of those speckled cuties as I'd just want to keep them ☺️. I love the look of the fur on Goliath! Certainly enjoy the grow out pics.