Disbudding baby goats, I HATE IT!!

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We disbudded two this morning. A little buckling, 5 days old, and a doeling 7 days old.

We burned for 6-7 seconds, got a good burn on them, but a little bone was showing on the buckling. Eeeeek!!

They were given 2 cc tetnus antitoxin before the procedure.

I don't know if I'll ever get "relaxed when I do this".

Anyway, I'm thinking I could use a shot of Tequila and it's only 10:00 am.

DonnaBelle

chandasue

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It really does suck. It's the part of goat keeping I dread the most but after having a vet do a butcher job on one I figured it wasn't worth that and I do a better job anyway.

gdana2

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thankfully my last doeling was polled. Why can't all goats be polled?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I have been taking my kids to the vet to do the disbudding. I did do it last year and I will have to start up again but I know I will always hate doing it.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
I just have to think that it hurts them to have it done... one of the reasons why my herd keeps their horns. Another is the fact that, at the moment, we do not have a herd guardian... so having a herd with horns allows them at least that defense against the bear, coyote, wolves, mountain lions, chupacabra(spotted occassionally in NH), and loosed domestics.

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you have registered dairy goats (and plan to show or sell kids) keeping the horns isn't really an option.

I feel ya DonnaBelle, it sucks.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
If you have registered dairy goats (and plan to show or sell kids) keeping the horns isn't really an option.

My herd is not registered.. the woman I got the from did not have papers or even info on the kids' sire or sires. :\
On the selling note, I will say that my family has already recieved 4 requests for our horned kids(still waiting for them to be born :barnie ). People in my neck of the woods(northern half of New Hampshire) prefer the horns for lead-ability and overall look. Most of the call is for land clearing and small milkers.
I would like to boost my herd's status by bringing in a registered buck... but if that means that he would be poled or disbudded, then I can't, for his safety.

Okie Amazon

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
chandasue said:
but after having a vet do a butcher job on one I figured it wasn't worth that and I do a better job anyway.
No kidding. We lost one of our first two bucklings either to tetanus or the vet frying his brain, not sure which. There was NO sign of a nice "copper ring" just huge burnt black wounds bigger than a fifty-cent piece. We'll be doing our own babies this next year!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
n.smithurmond said:

My herd is not registered.. the woman I got the from did not have papers or even info on the kids' sire or sires. :\
On the selling note, I will say that my family has already recieved 4 requests for our horned kids(still waiting for them to be born :barnie ). People in my neck of the woods(northern half of New Hampshire) prefer the horns for lead-ability and overall look. Most of the call is for land clearing and small milkers.
I would like to boost my herd's status by bringing in a registered buck... but if that means that he would be poled or disbudded, then I can't, for his safety.
If you keep registered goats and plan to sell registered kids. I'm not suggesting you can't sell unregistered kids with horns. You might even find the odd buyer who wants to pay for a registered dairy goat (as pet or home milker) but keep the horns. Those who show (dairy) horns aren't allowed and those who don't show but plan to sell registered kids will still be stuck disbudding since buyers who plan to show or have other registered stock won't have horned goats. I hate disbudding, just as DonnaBelle said. But not doing it isn't an alternative in my situation and may not be in DonnaBelle's either.

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
n.smithurmond said:
Livinwright Farm said:
n.smithurmond said:

If you keep registered goats and plan to sell registered kids. I'm not suggesting you can't sell unregistered kids with horns. You might even find the odd buyer who wants to pay for a registered dairy goat (as pet or home milker) but keep the horns. Those who show (dairy) horns aren't allowed and those who don't show but plan to sell registered kids will still be stuck disbudding since buyers who plan to show or have other registered stock won't have horned goats. I hate disbudding, just as DonnaBelle said. But not doing it isn't an alternative in my situation and may not be in DonnaBelle's either.
I understand. It rots that shows don't allow the goats to be shown in their natural condition. It is like the breeds of dogs that have to have their tails docked in order to fit the breed standards. ( :rant )
Hopefully, one day, the people who prefer all natural goats will fight(and win) to make it open/okay for the natural appearance too.
Edited to add: Note for those who disbud for protection from goring: I plan on capping my herd's horns{like what is done with bull & oxen horns} to prevent this.