Disbudding baby goats, I HATE IT!!

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I hate disbudding too. I just recently did my first four. Three were done the same day a couple of months ago. One has one stunted horn, one has two stunted horns, and the other ( a buckling) I had to do twice and he just has two horn nubs but they haven't grown anymore. I did my fourth a few minutes ago and I think I got his good. Here's hoping.:hu

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
RabbleRoost Farm said:
Even though if a dog or other animal wanted to kill a goat it would have no problem, regardless of horns, I'm more worried over my own goats getting gored by their herdmates on a daily basis than I worry over a dog breaking into my fences. Really there's no surefire way to keep animals out, but if you have as secure an area as possible you have less chance of any problems (regarding predators) appearing than you do with horn wounds. At any rate, I do like that other people feel the same as me, as in "Don't call my practices cruel and I won't call yours unsafe" etc.
I'm just saying - the way one goat uses her horns (her sharp, pointy horns that I HAVE dulled by clipping the very tip off) in a tearing and ripping and goring motion in the other goats' stomach region, I worry over what could happen.
Same here. I've already felt the horns a few times; luckily no skin has been broken--on me. And the way they go for the underbelly on each other aint no joke!
I'm one of the wimps that cant do the disbuddig myself, so I pay someone to do it for me and I do it gladly! I'd rather not even be around when it's done, but it doesn't take that long & she'd be done before I was back in the car.

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am going to pick out my first goat kids this weekend. I am going to learn how to disbud them at the same time. :/

Goat class: Here we come. :D

RabbleRoost Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm flipping grateful that my keeper kids have been disbudded, since tonight I got such a delightful stab in the back of the leg as Tansy tried to beat the new goats and I tried to keep her off them... A nice long trail of pain and soreness along with what I'm sure will become a beautiful bruise. :/
Too bad the buck has horns. At least my does won't be trying to kill eachother with their stabby appendages now that they don't have any. I'm only putting up with Tansy until she gives me a doeling out of the (soon to be) registered buck, then I'm going to have to do something with her before she learns how to kill another.

Someone was recently selling their goat because she had killed two other herdmates and was now living alone... I'm sorry, that doe would be dead, and quickly, if she had been mine and was being THAT aggressive. How could anyone just pass on a problem that severe to the first person with cash? I feel sorry for the girls she attacked; that's no way to go. :(

Edit: Even the scur horn on my other doe Cinnamon can be pretty painful, have learned that as well when she mistakenly beat me instead of the buckling belonging to the herd queen. She's trying to get a place higher than him, but hitting me by accident doesn't help.

Edit again: Why am I always directly in the line of fire when my goats decide to wield their daggers?
Must... Stop... Cuddling and hugging... Goats!