Disbudding baby goats, I HATE IT!!

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Not that I have ANY problem with horned goats...but - leaving their horns in the hope that it will give them 'weapons' with which to defend themselves from predators is a false sense of security. I know several horned goats that have died or been BADLY wounded by dogs...small to medium neighborhood dogs.

The horn caps - take a tennis ball, cut it open, fill it FULL of liquid nails (seriously) and cap the horn. Use duct tape to hold it on long enough for the liquid nails to dry. Holds quite awhile...
THIS is news to me - about the liquid nails part...and we have one that came with horns that may get it as a "just in case"....and the chupacabra...made me laugh! Friends at work call me that and laugh at me because I milk the goats...I AM THE CHUPACABRA! And because my wife made me a sucker by bringing them home :) But yeah...the whole makes me msierable with the disbudding...but we are doign it tomorrow...wish us luck...hairy scary stuff for such tiny little things...

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
goatsintheopen said:
Livinwright Farm said:
I just have to think that it hurts them to have it done... one of the reasons why my herd keeps their horns. Another is the fact that, at the moment, we do not have a herd guardian... so having a herd with horns allows them at least that defense against the bear, coyote, wolves, mountain lions, chupacabra(spotted occassionally in NH), and loosed domestics.
that is the reason my goats all have their horns... a friend of mine had two goats that were killed by dogs, they didn't have horns.. at least if the goats did have horns they could of had a fighting chance. (Chupacabra..LOL!!:lol:)
Okay, I am missing something... I can't think of why chupacabra would be funny...
While clearly the animal has gotten a bad rap as some evil creature out to suck the blood from goats, the animal has been seen by various people(disregard the pics on google of red foxes w/ mange).

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I don't have a problem disbudding. I do it at least 100 times a year or more.
I am the local 'crazy goat lady'....;)

If you (the 'you' being general, not singling anyone out) want your goats to have horns, great...more power to you.
But please do not imply that those of us who disbud are cruel / wrong / evil / bad goat owners.

I don't like to see a 200# animal lay into a 100# animal w/ extra hardware. Goats fight. Taking horns out of the equation takes a lot of the injury potential away. I will NOT lose another doe to a horned buck. Watching her die was cruel.

To each their own, do as you like w/ your animals...but don't judge how I deal w/ mine, please.

I think I saw Big Foot walking his chupacabra the other day....

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
That wasn't bigfoot and a chupacabra...it was ME milking our raggedy goats!

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Laugh all you want...I just don't want to be hunted down and autopsied on the history channel on that show....what is...monster quest! Nope...just trying to put out the word ...DON'T SHOOT! I am NOT bigfoot!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
GrowURown said:
Laugh all you want...I just don't want to be hunted down and autopsied on the history channel on that show....what is...monster quest! Nope...just trying to put out the word ...DON'T SHOOT! I am NOT bigfoot!
I'll remember that next time I drive through Texas!! :lol:

Livinwright Farm

Goat Fancier
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I don't have a problem disbudding. I do it at least 100 times a year or more.
I am the local 'crazy goat lady'....;)

If you (the 'you' being general, not singling anyone out) want your goats to have horns, great...more power to you.
But please do not imply that those of us who disbud are cruel / wrong / evil / bad goat owners.

I don't like to see a 200# animal lay into a 100# animal w/ extra hardware. Goats fight. Taking horns out of the equation takes a lot of the injury potential away. I will NOT lose another doe to a horned buck. Watching her die was cruel.

To each their own, do as you like w/ your animals...but don't judge how I deal w/ mine, please.

I know that I do not think poorly of anyone that disbuds. I know that some people have no choice, others prefer not to get gored, or for their animals to get gored. I will second your request (To each their own, do as you like w/ your animals...but don't judge how I deal w/ mine, please.)

I will also make the reminder of Rule 5.

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Livinwright Farm said:
goatsintheopen said:
Livinwright Farm said:
I just have to think that it hurts them to have it done... one of the reasons why my herd keeps their horns. Another is the fact that, at the moment, we do not have a herd guardian... so having a herd with horns allows them at least that defense against the bear, coyote, wolves, mountain lions, chupacabra(spotted occassionally in NH), and loosed domestics.
that is the reason my goats all have their horns... a friend of mine had two goats that were killed by dogs, they didn't have horns.. at least if the goats did have horns they could of had a fighting chance. (Chupacabra..LOL!!:lol:)
Okay, I am missing something... I can't think of why chupacabra would be funny... [url]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-confused004.gif[/url]
While clearly the animal has gotten a bad rap as some evil creature out to suck the blood from goats, the animal has been seen by various people(disregard the pics on google of red foxes w/ mange).
:lol: cause I was thinking it was Urban Legend like the Big foot.. thought you were being funny..didn't mean any harm at all.. though,I am getting a kick out of the other posts making light of it too.. :lol: FUNNY STUFF.:lol:

GrowURown

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Some days you just gotta laugh a little...we lost a very dear friend this week, the last few days have been bad ones at my house...today we have been laughing for a change...sorry...didn't mean to take the topic and run with it like that, but I JUST COULD NOT STOP! And the guys at work REALLY do call me "the chupacabra" ...they somehow think it's a joke that a grown welder man like myself comes to work in a hard hat talking about milking dairy goats - apparently that's not a very masculine hobby where they are from....IF ONLY they knew HOW HARD it REALLY IS...they'd change their tune...until then I guess I am the chupacabra...