Disbudding goats - How'd I do?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
What do you mean scent glands? Are you referring to Kate's figure 8 comment?
Yep - I thought her comment meant that if you did a figure 8 on a buckling it would get rid of their scent glands as well as disbud them...am I thinking wrong?

Congrats on the 4 from last year! I can only hope I get at least one good one in!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
No, the scent glands are SO FAR back behind the horn that you'd have to burn again behind your first burn to get them...and really, the URINE smells way worse, so what's the point?!

The figure-8 is to get the whole base. You do the usual burn around the 'main' bud, then another half burn down and to the inside to get the foreflutes of a buck's horns. Usually by the time you disbud, you can actually FEEL these flute buds. I'll get a pic next time I'm photographing out in the barn!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, I see! Pics would be great.

When we felt this little guy's nubs they felt like plain ol' nubs to me - but then again I don't really know what I'm feeling for!

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Here's the thread from the spring where I posted the link to my video. You can't really see detail, but it gives you an idea of what I did. :)
Just a random question after watching that. Do you always burn across the top of the bud? I've always just done the ring and it seems to have worked fine for the girls, although some of the boys have grown scurs (didn't know about the figure-8 either).

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
From what I've been told/read/heard some people burn the top and some don't. When I disbudded this little guy (and my calf, for that matter) I took the iron and burned the bud right off. I took the edge of the iron and sorta scraped it off, for lack of better words.

I can't view YouTube where I'm at so I'll be watching this as soon as I get home, you can be sure of that!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Yeah, I think some do and some don't. I did because I didn't want any scurs! And that's what I've seen done before.

redfarmhouse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The thought of doing this makes me nervous but I am just starting this week with goats. Hopefully, when the time comes, I'll be up to the task.

RoeDylanda

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Glenolam, nice job jumping in and learning! I'm going to want to see it done well a bunch of times before I try, because I don't want to cave in to the goat's distress and stop before it's really done. It'll be at least a year before I have to do it myself.

Good for you! :)