Disbudding goats - How'd I do?

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the props everyone!

I'm more of a "I have to do it to learn it" person. I can read and watch all I want, but until I actually do it nothing really sinks in.

Now that I've got two goat kids of my own (hee hee!) I'll be doing this again in a few days/weeks!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, helm....I'm know your busy birthin babies, but any chance I can see a pic of that figure 8?

Or does anyone else have any disbudding photos? I'm going to do my 2 "nuberhasli" doelings this weekend so I'm prepping.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I've never done it before, but I will probably have to do it this Friday or Saturday, since that is when Debbie (One of my leased goats) is due. We're also going to be tattooing them :sick

One thing I haven't seen in any videos or pictures on here.... Why didn't you guys make/buy some kid restraint boxes so then they don't wiggle and you might be able to disbud by yourself?
Here's a page on how to build one from a kit

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
When DH gets back from GA we have several to do...I'll get pics and a video, promise! Prolly Weds or Thurs,

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here's a bunch of pictures of my two doelings that I did on 2/17/11. Let me know what you think. The doeling with the white ears moved while I was disbudding her right side so I ended up burning hair. I had cut the hair off around the nubs, but she really jerked her head so I ended up frying some of the hair I didn't cut off. Upon inspection, it looks as though it's the same as the left side (meaning, copper rings).

256ho.jpg

254e.jpg

253d.jpg

250eq.jpg

249so.jpg

And...just because I don't want to leave you on a bad note...

030ff.jpg

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks O7W - anyone else with disbudding experience have any thoughts?

msjuris

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm waiting for Helmstead to share pictures of the figure 8 that should be done on bucks. :caf

mistee

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i hate disbudding,,,lol.. I hold while hubby burns.. we have did it the last 2 years and still get scurs.. Last year I thought we had it,, thought we had a nice copper ring but NOPE,, scurs! fingers crossed this year things go better,,,sigh!!