disbudding

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
my little doe kid was born 18 days ago, just now do i feel her horns coming thru so i am trying to research all about disbudding. i would like for her to be my sons goat and 4h project so id rather she had no horns for safety. is she too old to disbud now? i know the process is not a nice one, and i am trying to find someone who will do it for me that knows what they are doing. is there any reasons this is not a good idea to do?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
The process really isn't that bad. They start screaming the moment someone holds them still, so although I'm sure it's not a nice feeling, most of the screaming comes from them being restrained. She'll be fine the minute after she's done. If her horn buds are just starting to come through, now would be a good time to get it done. Good luck finding someone. :) If you're near MD I can do it.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
i wish i lived closer to ya! thanks for the offer..

i actually called my vet just to see if they knew anyone who might do it, and they dont really work on goats too much but one of the vets will do it tomorrow for me. she had to double check the price but they said shouldnt be more than $75.. i wasnt expecting to pay that much :/ i thought like $25 would take care of it. her little horn buds are tiny so i dont see it taking much time or effort at all to do it. does that sound like a fair price?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
i wish i lived closer to ya! thanks for the offer..

i actually called my vet just to see if they knew anyone who might do it, and they dont really work on goats too much but one of the vets will do it tomorrow for me. she had to double check the price but they said shouldnt be more than $75.. i wasnt expecting to pay that much :/ i thought like $25 would take care of it. her little horn buds are tiny so i dont see it taking much time or effort at all to do it. does that sound like a fair price?
It sounds pretty high, but if you have to use the vet I guess you don't have much of a choice. Try calling the Extension Office (for 4-H) and ask if there are any 4-H people near you who could do it.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Before I learned how to do it myself, I paid a breeder $20 to do it. Look for someone in your area who raises goats and disbuds and I bet they would do it for you cheaper. I would also ask how many goats the vet has disbudded, I have seen a lot come back and grow scurs from the vet office doing it since they don't see a lot of goats and don't have a lot of experience. Your best bet would be a goat person. The vet is also a good choice but that is a bit pricey. It just scares me when they say they "don't really work on goats too much", makes you wonder how many disbuddings they have done, if you know what I mean. :p

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The vet my breeder used charged $10 per goat. Do you live near any Veterinary School? I know they are rare...less than one per State. If you are some lucky ones, call them up. Usually they are also a teaching hospital so they could do it for a very reasonable price. Can you find some breeders in your area and see if they would or who they know can do it too.

BetterHensandGardens

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dwbonfire said:
my little doe kid was born 18 days ago, just now do i feel her horns coming thru so i am trying to research all about disbudding. i would like for her to be my sons goat and 4h project so id rather she had no horns for safety. is she too old to disbud now? i know the process is not a nice one, and i am trying to find someone who will do it for me that knows what they are doing. is there any reasons this is not a good idea to do?
If you want her to be a 4H project for your son, most likely she will have to be disbudded - they normally don't allow horned goats. If you are just now feeling the horn buds - now is the time to do it, the earlier the better provided an experienced person is doing it. The price you were given seem quite high, experienced goat breeders or goat mentors would likely do it for much less, or show you how to do it on her for nothing. Where are you - you might get offers of help if you gave an idea.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The Vet price seems quite high. If you are close to me, I would be happy to disbud her for you and show you how to do it. No charge. I am sure if there are any goat breeders near you they also would be happy to help you.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thanks all for your input and offers :) love byh so much!

i called the extension office and got the phone number of a vet whos a little further north of me but shes known to be more of the livestock vet around. works on goats, sheep, cows, horses and pigs. which is great to know since i have all those things :p
she was worried about the kid being 18 days old, but i truly think her horns are so so tiny we went ahead to make the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. and she only charges $15!! much better than $75!! phew! and as mentioned, i will feel better because i believe she does this more than the other vet so she has more experience with it.

Hickoryneck

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is much easier then you think I have been disbudding since I was 11 yo. I have heard the vets around here charge $75 to disbud or castrate a goat kid I have been doing it for people for $10.
If you are just now feeling the horn buds then now is the time to get them done if you use a disbudding iron then be sure to shave the top of the head first cuts down on the smoky smell that scares most people

Latest posts