disbudding

Bedste

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
my vet charges $25 per goat and this includes knocking them out for the procedure and tetanus shots

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
today is the big day for the little gal.. i hadnt thought if she should get a tetanus shot afterwards? i will be sure to ask the vet if she doesnt say so. ill let yall know how it goes!

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ditto Hickoryneck!!

Shaving the head where the buds are not only stops with the smell, you can see the buds more clearly, therefore you are more accurate when you position the iron.

I still don't like to do it, but with a good iron, and a disbudding box it can be done with a minium of distress to the disbudding person and the goat.

She needs a CD & T shot. We ususally give one before we disbud. A booster three weeks later.

DonnaBelle

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
DonnaBelle said:
Ditto Hickoryneck!!

Shaving the head where the buds are not only stops with the smell, you can see the buds more clearly, therefore you are more accurate when you position the iron.

I still don't like to do it, but with a good iron, and a disbudding box it can be done with a minium of distress to the disbudding person and the goat.

She needs a CD & T shot. We ususally give one before we disbud. A booster three weeks later.

DonnaBelle
can i get that vaccine at tractor supply? i will ask the vet to give her one today while im there but then i can do the booster myself. thanks for that info

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Was the doe vaccinated a month prior to kidding? It wouldn't hurt for her to have one if not. It's usually not a high risk for tetanus since the wound is cauterized, but if she hasn't had one at all it wouldn't be bad idea to give her one.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
no, she wasnt vaccinated.. so the doe could potentially get tetanus from the kids wound? sorry that might sound dumb im just a little confused lol

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
No, sorry I confused you. I meant if the doe wasn't vaccinated prior to kidding, her kid needs one.

daisychick

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If your doe wasn't vaccinated in the past year, it wouldn't be a bad idea to give her one when you buy some to do the kid's booster in 3 weeks. :) I have had no trouble finding CD&T vaccine at all the farm stores. I always have a bottle in my fridge so I have it whenever one needs a booster shot or their yearly ones.

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thanks guys! i asked the vet about it while i was there and she told me i might as well wait until she is 2 months old, then booster once after that. if i gave her the vaccine today id have to booster twice. so i decided to wait. she also told me to give mom one too because she hasnt had one since i got her, over a year ago. and she also told me to vaccinate my sheep. so i learned thats an important thing to do for all of them and will be going to get it all this weekend.

the baby did good for the disbudding process, of course she cried some but as soon as she took the iron off she stopped, so it was clear theres not alot of pain afterwards. she showed me a good way to hold them if i dont have any help, and was real informative on the technique so i think in the future i will get an iron and attempt it myself. she told me some triple antibiotic ointment would be ok to put on the spots, but i dont have any of that around so would wound-kote be ok? that purple stuff.. or maybe even to dab with witch hazel?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
You don't even have to put anything on it at all.

And I disagree with the vet about the vaccine. She will need an extra booster, but that is cheap insurance. It's safer to give her one now so she's covered. I wait until 8 weeks to vaccinate my kids and lambs, BUT their dams have all been vaccinated a month prior.

Latest posts