Doeling with 4 teats

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I picked up my two babies this morning, the breeder said she just found out that Molly, the doeling, has 4 teats and we shouldn't breed her. As I was getting her for the milk as well as a pet, I'm a bit put off. The lady said she could tie off the extras so they don't develop. Is this true? Will she be able to have milk? I'm all new to this.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yuck! Return the kid, get your money back. Was it sold registered? That is a registry NO NO...

Yes, you can still milk it...but no, you probably shouldn't breed it - which is how you get them into milk (unless you're willing to raise pet or meat quality goats).

I always check ALL kids, doe and buck, the moment they're born to make sure they have correct teat structure. She should have noticed, especially raising dairy goats.

Chivasherd

Just born
Reaction score
I had a doe that had 2 teats on one side. By the time I got her, she had already been bred. She gave birth with no problems and the baby had no problems feeding. Of course the defect was only on one side and not both so the baby had a normal teat to use as well as the abnormal one.

Her offspring was a buck and I did wether him because I didn't want the defect to go any further.

Pipit

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They aren't registered. I don't mind having pet quality goats. These are so sweet tempered. I just want to be sure it won't cause health problems.

Chivasherd

Just born
Reaction score
I'm not sure about health problems. I don't know why they said don't breed her other then the defect can be passed down. Maybe a vet could answer about health problems. I do know the lady that I got the goat from was going to kill her because of the defect. She only wanted show quality goats. So my husband and I took a 2 hour drive and went and got her.

All my goats are other people's cast-offs and now they're my pets. I don't breed, sell or eat my goats all I do is just love them.:)

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a doe that has a fishteat and she raised her baby just fine. I have seen them with 3 or 4 and most of the time the extras dont develop to where milk comes out of them. My girls raised their babies just fine and I have even milked them...they just cant be registered unless they are Boer goats as its common in them.

miron28

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
well my opinion is ..... so what she has 4 teats there are cows born with 5 teats and they still milk them. sooo why couldn't you milk here? and if you don't want show quality i don't see why it matters.. enjoy the little goat :love :thumbsup

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
As a family milker there is no reason you can't breed her, if they are 4 separate teats the babies shouldn't have any problem eating. Most likely one the two main teats will have milk, although I have seen exceptions! One of my boers has 4 teats. My calf has 6!