Does anyone know...can you feed a baby raw cow's milk???

FriesianMilk

Just born
Reaction score
I don't think I would feed my baby raw milk.
I am currently breastfeeding. When the baby is breastfeeding the milk is going right from mom to baby's mouth, there is no risk of contamination. (assuming mom showers and wears clothes ;) ) Most mothers who pump milk for their babies are clean and careful about their supplies and technique. While it's not aseptic, I have never felt the need to pastuerize my milk for my baby.

Now cow's on the other hand....don't mind laying down with their udder in a pile of poo.....:eek:

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
FriesianMilk said:
I don't think I would feed my baby raw milk.
I am currently breastfeeding. When the baby is breastfeeding the milk is going right from mom to baby's mouth, there is no risk of contamination. (assuming mom showers and wears clothes ;) ) Most mothers who pump milk for their babies are clean and careful about their supplies and technique. While it's not aseptic, I have never felt the need to pastuerize my milk for my baby.

Now cow's on the other hand....don't mind laying down with their udder in a pile of poo.....:eek:
Very good point!!!! :sick

dairy_girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
umm.. no! :) your baby calf just needs his mamas milk all naturell "or however you spell that! :) "

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
dairy_girl said:
umm.. no! :) your baby calf just needs his mamas milk all naturell "or however you spell that! :) "
The OP is referrring to a human baby. ;)

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I really wasn't trying to sound stupid. I"m new to this whole farm/livestock thing and I was just curious. That's all. My youngest is 2 and I'm not having anymore children (already have 6) and I breastfed my kids too. I was simply wondering because I had learned how much better raw milk was for you then pasturized and wondered if it would be better for a baby vs. formula. Thanks for all the great info. :caf

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
the reason that baby cant take cows milk at birth is because they dont have the emzymes to break it down.when i was born i was sickly.i couldnt take the breast milk.so i was bottled on formula.

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's interesting, I've never heard of a baby who was allergic or couldn't digest their mother's breastmilk. I was always taught that every mother's milk is especially formulated for that particular baby.