Does anyone know...can you feed a baby raw cow's milk???

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's a good question. I know goats milk is much more compatible for humans. I've never seen a goats milk formula tho...hmmm Now you have me thinking

chickennoodles

Just born
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Well, we don't hesitate to give our young ones store bought milk though, do we? And what hormones, antibiotics and who knows what other chemicals we are pouring down their throats? Its pretty safe to say that there are dangers rampant in most of the foods we eat now days. I'm just saying that a lot of our ancestors thrived on raw cow's milk and lived to tell about it...maybe some didn't. Much the same gamble we take now when eating a simple tomato! :rolleyes:
Because all milk comes from female animals, it all has "hormones" in it- usually natural levels that are not harmful. The USDA and the FDA tightly regulate almost all food produced , packaged and marketed for human consumption in the US. Chemicals, anitbiotics, etc are not allowed in any milk- organic or conventionally produced. Don't believe all the hype that was started by animal activitists and now has many consumers cofused on what is safe and not safe to eat. I am not excusing poor managers, and people that may bend the rules, but as a general point, milk in the store is safe to drink.

BigSkyChickie

Just born
Reaction score
Chickennoodles, I can tell I'm going to enjoy reading your posts.:)

Whether raw cow milk is safe regarding bacterial pathogens or not, it is not an appropriate source of nutrition for infants <1 year of age. This link-
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1594357?dopt=Abstract -tells why.

Personally, I would hesitate to give raw cow's milk to babies <2 years of age, but that might just be the microbiologist coming out in me.;)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
The USDA and the FDA tightly regulate almost all food produced , packaged and marketed for human consumption in the US.
I sit smack dab in the middle of commercial poultry country and happen to know that all the chickens receive medicated feeds(tetracycline is one of these meds) and their litter is fed to beef cattle as a source of protein. These cattle are then fed antibiotics to combat the illnesses caused by a high corn diet used in the finishing process. The accumulation of broad spectrum antibiotics in the tissues of these animals does get passed on to the unsuspecting public. Not all information about these practices are generated by animal protection organizations. If you believe the FDA and USDA are on top of things, you are a little naive.

I can't imagine the dairy producers are much different, with the emphasis on animals gaining early sexual maturity and maintaining milk production for as long as possible. Not to mention the problems with mastitis and the antibiotics they use for this. I've seen them hooking up those cows in the dairy...they give a perfunctory swipe of the teats and jab those milkers on...no feeling for a hot quarter or anything. Milking that pus and infection right into the milk we buy at the store. :p

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am a dairy woman. I can't speak for anyone else but, our cows are treated/feed/cared for well. They are washed off and checked for mastitis at milking time.

Regulations require SCC (Somatic Cell Count) to be under a certain number or you get cut off. Regulations also require that a sample of milk is taken at each and every pickup. When the truck gets to the plant the load is tested. If the load tests "hot" (positive for antibiotics) then each individual farmers sample will be tested to find out who had the hot milk. That/those farmers can be held responsible to pay for the load of milk which has to be dumped. Tests have changed over the years to make it harder to cheat too. SCC is effected by more than mastitis. If a cow has injured a teat or her udder the SCC will go up even without mastitis present.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool!!! That's good to know!

So...no medicated feeds for commercial dairy?

There is a dairy place near here that have docked all their cows tails and they don't have any fields to graze on.....just a real muddy feedlot and they always look muddy and wet and miserable! I know the various reasons for docking tails on cows but isn't it just a tad cruel when they can't brush away flies? And, if they use fly treatments on their cows, isn't there a chance that the med could be absorbed topically and find its way to the milk? Just wondering.... :)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The fly sprays are safe to use on the cows. No problem with the milk due to them.

It sounds like you have one of those huge dairy farms near you. I hate it when the cows can't get out to have room to get some excersize. Winters her are cold and sometimes nasty. While the cows don't go out everyday we try to get them out to get some excercise on a regular basis. Spring, summer, and fall they go out day and night.
Cowyard.jpg

Medicated feeds for calves but, milk cows no.

allenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I found a great web site about raw milk. And here was a reply on the FAQ page.
Q: Can anybody drink raw milk?

A: Yes, with a nod to those folks whom it just doesn't suit, but there are a few important exceptions. For infants, there's absolutely no substitute for mother's milk, however, should that be unavailable for some unfortunate reason, baby formula with raw milk as a base can fill in nicely. Individuals with a compromised immune system, whether due to illness, medication, chemo-therapy or genetic malfunction, may be able to drink it, but should consult with a raw milk-friendly medical professional before attempting it.

Link to site, http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/Raw_Milk_FAQ.html

tororider

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
To be clear, a baby should ideally be getting its mothers breast milk. Its own mother. Each mothers breast milk is specially formulated by HER body for HER baby. That being said...

We starting leasing a cow this past spring. We have been feeding it to my then one year old son, as well as my 4 year old son. The pasteurization process breaks down the cell bodies in the milk making those undigestable. Raw milk is so much better for you, the fat in raw milk is good for you, its just good for you.

I understand that hormones are now closely monitored by the government but medicine is not. Most dairies are still giving medicated feed if not just administering antibiotics. I don't need the extra medicine, I will wait until I am sick.

The cow that we lease I found from a place on the internet. The reason we went with this dairy farm is that they are totally organic and they delivered to a location near us. I also am good friends with dairy farmers who live on the other side of the state. They, like most dairies I am told, draw milk off of their tanks before the milke truck comes to take it. So they are drinking raw milk. They sanitize the teets at time of milking, which although I don't own a cow only seems to make sense, and they get a report from the company that delivers their milk. They don't medicate or use hormones with their milk, they get paid more for it because of this. However they are not an "organic" farm. The reason... the government wants too much money to "certify" the farm.

In the end I think anyone should feel comfortable with the decision they are making. If you aren't comfortable with feeding your child raw milk, don't do it. If after doing your research you are comfortable, as I am and was with my then one year old, do it. My son has been extremely healthy.

Good luck with your decision.

Here are some resources I used.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHcyAH0rOPE&feature=related
http://www.realmilk.com/
http://www.realmilk.com/what.html
http://www.hicksorganicfood.com/

P.S. Thanks for a forum to express view points and to learn from other people's experience.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Obviously you are not the one shipping the milk! There is a sample taken each and every pickup! Each load of milk going into the factory has to be tested for antibiotics! Trust me it's regulated right down to where and how you keep it in the barn! You can not have milk cow treatments and dry cow treatments on the same shelf in the cupboard. If it isn't labeled for milk cows it had better not be near the milk cow stuff when an inspector shows up!

Yes, a good sanitizing/cleaning before milking is good and smart. Not only for clean milk but, if dirt is left on the teat then it can enter into the udder when the milk canal opens for the milk to come out. Then you have unhealthy bacteria maybe resulting in mastitis or maybe not. But, it will be there and you won't know it until it shows up on your test or the cow gets mastitis.

Yes, raw milk is great. The reason, given by my DDs pediatrition, behind the not giving it to children under 2 is their immune system is not fully developed and therefore not necessarily able to handle the bacteria found in raw milk.

There is more to organic farming than not using antibiotics. There is regulations on what they can put on their land and the types of seed they can use to grow their crops and no commercial fertilizer. As well as the feed they buy has to all be certified organic-most feedmills have to order it in special. It is a long and difficult road to certification taking years. As for the money it takes to the certification, those guys get paid extreamely well and here there are a number who are organic or are working toward being certified organic. You can not claim to be organic without the certification.

Yes, it is a personal choice as whether to give it to a little one or not and it is nice to be able to discuss it with others.

Latest posts