Does this sound like Goat Polio? **UPDATE**

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
On Mothers Day I lost my beloved "Violet" :hit
The vet was out 2 days earlier for her as she suddenly was congested and weezing. Her temp. was 103.5, He gave her an antibiotic shot and some pro-biotics to increase her appetite. Her weezing stopped the next day and although she was "mopping" around seemed as though she was on the mend. Walking fine and started to eat again. Then without warning, I woke up on Sunday and she had died in her sleep. Still curled up next to her brother "Chico". No trama, no mess, still curled up with her feet under her. She looked as if she was sleeping. My Vet was flabergasted and confused. I was heartbroken and confused. :hit

Her brother "Chico" has been depressed and lost. But seemingly fine, health wise. Now suddenly, as of yesterday his legs are acting "funny". He straddles his rear legs to stand and his front legs seem "to give"...like popping out of stance when he stands. No temp., eating and drinking fine. His poop is healthy droppings as well as peeing fine. His hoofs were trimmed 1 week ago and I checked for any trama...NOTHIN~!
I have been reading all your posts on these symptoms and it sure sounds like Goat Polio, but I want to ask your advice. And what I can do ASAP!
They are all up to date on their shots as of 6 weeks ago and are due for their worming, but I dont want to do this if his immune system is compromised. Or should I?
I am going into town first thing in the morning and can pick up whatever I need...I just dont know what I need! Dosages as well please! "Chico weighs 180 lbs. of Nubian Love!
Also...Is this contagious? I also have a geriatric Doe who is 17 yrs. old and weighs 120 lbs. Should I treat them both? PLEASE HELP!

Chico & Violet (shes the black and white girl)

2273_moms_idea.jpg

R.I.P My precious Violet
2273_violet711.jpg

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
:hugs :hit how sad... I'm sorry for your loss, but I can't help you. :( Have you contacted your vet?

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Believe it or not, My Vet told me to keep getting advice from all you goaty people cuz you seem to know more than he does! He is a large animal Vet but deals mostly with Catlle and Horses...I am his only goat "patient"...so basically, he is at a loss! :he

GLENMAR

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs Sorry for your loss. I am new to goats myself. I also have Nubians. Your goats are beautiful.
Maybe she should have been getting injections of antibiotics 2x a day. Did she only get one??

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Can you get Thiamine from your vet?

I am so sorry you lost her, and I've enjoyed your goat adventures since you started. (hug) and best of luck w/ Chico.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
Can you get Thiamine from your vet?

I am so sorry you lost her, and I've enjoyed your goat adventures since you started. (hug) and best of luck w/ Chico.
x2

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
O.K. ya`ll...I suspect meningeal worm. I started him on B complex shots (Thiamine)on Friday and he gets the last of them today. I wanted to try and eliminate "goat polio"...No changes what so ever in him in a positive way...slightly worse. Then i suspected Listerosis...checked all hay No Mold, and he was only showing depression (which I attributed to the loss of his sister) and wobbliness...no temp. and no scours (cant spell diareha...see?)

Started searching his symptoms and WHALAA! He has every symptom of meningeal worm! Still cant figure out if/how he would have gotten this (They are on a dry lot) but Im out of ideas! If any one of you have others PLEASE TELL ME! I dont want to lose my "Chico" as well.
His symptoms are as follows:

Weakness started in his rear leg, then went to both. Now both front legs seem to be effected as well just not as bad...yet. Difficulty getting up...poor boy falls flat on his face from time to time. Seems to have a hard time focusing on the ground when standing, but no blindness.
Normal temp. 102.5, eating and drinking as usual, nice poops and peeing like a champ.
I started him on Goat-Guard yesterday at 24ml (he weighs 180 lbs.) He has gotten a second dose today already (p.s. NEVER try and give a 180 lb. nubian meds with your mouth open...Im jus` sayin! :sick)
I read that I need to keep him on this high dose for 5 days as well as an Ivermectin injection. I only have pour-on...crap! Called the local feed store and all they have is Iverme. for cattle and swine...is this the right stuff? If so...dosage for this Big guy?
Am I doing this right????:hu

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ivermectin injectable for cattle is the right stuff. We were giving 3cc per 100lbs for mites as an injection with no complications. Dosage on bottle says to give 1 cc per 110lbs.

I would keep on giving him the thiamin, it wont hurt anything even if he doesn't need it.

And I would consider a antibiotics as well.

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Good to go on the Ivermectin for cattle, feed store has that. How many injections of that ? Also just ordered some Pen-G as well as syringes and other "goodies" from Jeffers. Dosage on the Pen-G?
IF this isnt meningeal worm, will this high dose of Goat guard harm him? Im just shooting in the dark here trying to cover all angles.
Thanks for your help...I dont feel so alone in this! :bow