Does this sound like Goat Polio? **UPDATE**

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have never treated for lungworms, but I know Elevan has a treatment schedule on her information page. Just a thought, but did you get the regular ivermectin or the ivermectin Plus? I am not positive, but I think you need the ivermectin plus for lungworms. AGain, Elevan would be a good person to ask about this.

I don't think the Goatguard will hurt him, but again, I am not an expert. that does seem like a lot though.

I would give him 7 to 8 cc twice a day of Penn G.

I would be prepared to back all these treatments up with probiotics, and if he is off feed I would start drenching him with some evergy drenches and calories.

Cream corn
mollasses
corn oil
corn syrup
nutri-drench

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ThePigeonKid said:
ksalvagno said:
Ivomec is a preventative for Meningeal Worm. It is not a treatment. You need Safeguard for treatment. You should give a shot of Ivomec to catch any worms that are still in the stomach but once they pass the blood brain barrier, then the Safeguard is what is used. you dose Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days for m worm treatment. You would also give an injection of Ivomec at 1cc per 70 lbs.

If you are giving Ivomec for other parasites, then it is dosed at 1cc per 20 lbs orally. But you need to know the weight. If you underdose, then you are just going to build up resistance. 50-80 pounds is a huge difference when it comes to wormers.
I have Safe-Guard goat dewormer.
THANKS ELEVAN! This is the dosage Ive been using = to 24 ml. once daily for 5 days...is that calculation right? Also, Isnt Lungworm and Meningeal Worm different?
He has no symptoms of Lungworm and all of the other.

I did get the Thiamine from the Vet Bottle says: Vitamin B Complex/Thiamine. This is not enough?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Chicos Mama said:
THANKS ELEVAN! This is the dosage Ive been using = to 24 ml. once daily for 5 days...is that calculation right?

I did get the Thiamine from the Vet Bottle says: Vitamin B Complex/Thiamine. This is not enough?
I misunderstood you on the Thiamine...thought you had just got a bottle of B Complex at the feed store. Sorry about that.

On the Ivomec...what parasite are you trying to treat (I see a few things posted)? And do you have the 1% injectible, the drench or a pour on? And how much does the goat weigh?

Chicos Mama

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Meningeal Worm
I have pour on Iver. but am going to the feed store tommorrow for injectable.
Chico weighs 180 lbs.
And that high dosage was for the Goat Guard (24 ml. once daily for 5 days)

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Goat Guard is... :/ And I've tried looking it up and cannot find it. What is the active ingredient?

I've never treated Meningeal worm but I believe that ksalvagno has so I'd go with her treatment listed

ksalvagno said:
Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days for m worm treatment. You would also give an injection of Ivomec at 1cc per 70 lbs.
So I would give 3 ml of the 1% Ivermectin injectible (for cattle & swine) given SQ and 26 ml of Safeguard orally.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I would probably go ahead and give 9-10 ml of the pour on orally tonight until you can get the other stuff tomorrow.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chicos Mama said:
ThePigeonKid said:
ksalvagno said:
Ivomec is a preventative for Meningeal Worm. It is not a treatment. You need Safeguard for treatment. You should give a shot of Ivomec to catch any worms that are still in the stomach but once they pass the blood brain barrier, then the Safeguard is what is used. you dose Safeguard at 1cc per 7 lbs for 5 days for m worm treatment. You would also give an injection of Ivomec at 1cc per 70 lbs.

If you are giving Ivomec for other parasites, then it is dosed at 1cc per 20 lbs orally. But you need to know the weight. If you underdose, then you are just going to build up resistance. 50-80 pounds is a huge difference when it comes to wormers.
I have Safe-Guard goat dewormer.
THANKS ELEVAN! This is the dosage Ive been using = to 24 ml. once daily for 5 days...is that calculation right? Also, Isnt Lungworm and Meningeal Worm different?
He has no symptoms of Lungworm and all of the other.

Sorry, I meant to write Meningeal worms. Typo on my part, Or simple brain syndrome.