Don't tell ME that CAE is "no big deal"

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I think we can all agree that CAE and CL are both something we want to outsmart and avoid if at all possible.

I am a great believer in being armed with knowledge. Now a lot of folks perfer to "wing it". I realize that it may take some time to have a CAE free herd. I'm just resolved to do the best I can for my goats.

I have one goat bred that i know her due date. I'm going to pull her kid/kids and bottle feed them.

I have two others that were "pasture bred" and I don't know for sure when they will kid.

In future, the "pasture bred" situation will not occur. DH is fencing in the 6 acres for my herd sire with 5 strands of high tensile hot wire electric fence on cedar posts. If he can get through it, he's going to the sale barn and I will just rent a sire in future.

If possible, let's listen to all sides of the discussions on these two awful diseases and help each other if we can.

DonnaBelle

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
BlondeSquirrel04 said:
I'll take my chances with CL. CAE....no way.
Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather go with the disease that is not transmissible to humans at all and is easily preventable. :)

Mf628

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So it seems that the grand majority say to pull the kids and bottle feed.

Okay that's no problem with dairy goats... What about meat goats? I just purchased a junior doe last spring who may be CAE positive. I'll know for sure once she gets tested. I specifically bought her because the breeder bragged about the excellent mothering instinct bred into their does. What would I do with the doe if I did pull the kids? Milk her?

Would it be worth raising on prevention just to stick her back into the herd?

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You have just presented the BYH group with the BIG QUESTION to the bottom line.

I have the same problem. If I pull kids, then let them eat from the same feeders, live in the same barn, use the same pastures, etc. WILL THEY BECOME INFECTED THROUGH CONTACT? Even though they did not come into close contact with mom??

There are researchers who believe that this disease can be passed by means other than mother's milk and colustrum. Such as saliva.

If that is true, and a breeder wants a CAE free herd, then they must keep the CAE positive goats in a location apart from the CAE infected goats.

There are also those that believe that the only way for it to be transmitted is from milk and colustrum. Period.

It is also known that a goat may be tested by 4 different testing FACILITIES (blood drawn and sent to 4 different labs) and 3 tests come back negative, and one come back positive. This experiment was done by Oklahoma State University.

Plus a goat may be tested for 8 years in a row, come back negative for 7 years, the eighth year come back positive. So the tests ARE NOT FOOLPROOF.

I'm afraid this whole situation is what they call a ROYAL CONUNDRUM, in other words, what the @#$% to do??

Each of us has to look our our own situation. I have considered getting rid of all my goats, cleaning and scrubbing my barn, letting it sit empty for 6 months and starting over with Nubian goats that I know are CAE free, have been raised by a friend that I can trust.

Or perhaps get some Spanish Goats, meat goats, because they do have a much smaller instance of CAE for some reason. Dr. Sparks thinks it's because milk goats are kept for years on the same farm, while the meat goat turnover is much higher.

DonnaBelle

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This may not be a popular stance, but if I had a goat cae positive, I would cull no matter what.
This is the only way to get rid of the disease.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What is the reality here?

Jury is still out on if the disease can be passed through a vector other than milk.
Testing is unreliable.
Can be carriers and never show symptoms.

Bottom line is it a crap shoot.

Personally I lean on the side of culling. Canada is bovine TB and brucellosis free because we culled everything across the country at one point. It may sound ruthless but it was effective.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
I agree too. Culling is the best way to get rid of anything. Not more vaccines or ways to manage bla bla bla. Culling has been and always will be the best way to go.

BarredRockMomma

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Here is the article from DonnaBelle. If you can't read it send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you.

4739_viewer.png

4739_viewer2.png

4739_viewer3.png

4739_viewer4.png

4739_viewer5.png

ok it is small so I will play with my computer to see it I can enlarge it and still post it.

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
When you scan it onto your computer, is it in PDF format or is it a picture (.jpg)?