Don't tell ME that CAE is "no big deal"

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
animalcrackeracres said:
this is probably going to sound really stupid but how about neutering and spaying CAE positive goats IF it is shown to only pass through breeding. Weathers make nice pets, would a spayed female (if that even has a name or can be done) be a good pet? Or even giving a female birth control so she cannot breed, like they do to control herd size with the horses on Assateague Island in maryland?
This is a pet opinion only, I am not a breeder.

I thought about having a buck but knew I could not guarantee he wouldn't figure out a way to overcome the electric fence or the pens so I decided to not risk it. If I ever wanted the CAE free ones to have a baby I would try to research to find a CAE certified free buck and pay the stud fee.
CAE *may* be passed thru breeding but that's not at all the only way. CAE is passed thru all body fluids and really isn't a manageable disease.

If it were me I wouldn't spay them, I'd seel as non-breedable pets or I'd eat them. But I am a breeder and don't do pets.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
animalcrackeracres said:
this is probably going to sound really stupid but how about neutering and spaying CAE positive goats IF it is shown to only pass through breeding. Weathers make nice pets, would a spayed female (if that even has a name or can be done) be a good pet? Or even giving a female birth control so she cannot breed, like they do to control herd size with the horses on Assateague Island in maryland?
This is a pet opinion only, I am not a breeder.

I thought about having a buck but knew I could not guarantee he wouldn't figure out a way to overcome the electric fence or the pens so I decided to not risk it. If I ever wanted the CAE free ones to have a baby I would try to research to find a CAE certified free buck and pay the stud fee.
It is not passed only by breeding.

I have pets, breeders, and freezer fillers but none of them will be kept if CAE positive.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
HYPP is an inherited disease, you can't remove a foal at birth and prevent HYPP. You can remove kids at birth and prevent the spread of CAE.

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There has been evidence that CAE can be spread through direct contact to uninfected goats by ingesting saliva and feces through contaminated feed and water, or by inhalation of aerosolized virus.
This is why I would not risk keeping a goat that has been positively identified.
I care about all of my goats however I would not hesitate to cull and by cull I mean euthanize if it came up positive. It is just not worth losing all of my goats over,