Dumb Tattooing Question

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've been seriously thinking about tattooing my goats, but I had some questions.

What numbers do you use?
Where do you register the tattoo?
Given that I have LaManchas, I'll have to tattoo the tail web. How crazy will that be?

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
you don't register the tattoo, the goats are registered an those are the numbers and letters you use for the tattoo. Not sure about lamanchas, but for Boer goats one ear has your farm prefix in it, which you get from the Boer goat registry and the other ear has a letter representing the year, this year is the letter B and then number or numbers representing a kid count.
Another words for our farm, We fill out the paperwork to register the goat, the right ear has LHF5 put in it this is our farm prefix number. We were allowed to choose it and it stand for Locust Have Farm and we chose the number 5, because there are 5 people in our family.

The left ear will be given one of the following numbers B01, B02, B03 on up. B representing 2012 and 01 would be the first kid we tattoo, 02 would be the 2nd kid, ect... Really doesn't matter what number you start at or if they are in order, just so you don't duplicate any numbers in that year.

I suspect lamanchas work somewhat the same way.

One or both parents need to be carrying registration paperwork to register the offspring.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@ 20kidsonhill,
Wow, you are lucky... our Farm ID number is 9 characters long.... My tattooer is only 5 characters at a time, so that means 3 reloads per goat.. (2 for farm ID, 1 for herd number)

On topic, you asked about lamanchas. I found this site that gives you some easy to follow pictures.... But I guarantee that your goats will be a LOT more green than the ones that they are doing. lol
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/tattoo.htm

This is the tattooer that I have, it was really easy to operate. they seem to be sold out at the moment, but the people there were really polite and answered a lot of my questions :)
http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1816

As for what to tattoo, you need to contact the Scrapie people at Toll Free: 1-866-USDA-TAG (873-2824), they will give you a farm ID number that goes in one ear, and then you need a herd/animal number in the other. The herd/animal number has to be unique for each goat. but the lady at the USDA said I could put pretty much anything there as long as I kept records. I use: MF (for Mcqueen Farms) 2 (for the year 2012, but other people have a letter system that I don't know) and then a two digit number for the goats, 01 and 02.
So Phineas got MF201 in his ear and Candace got MF202 in hers.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
CoffeeCow said:
@ 20kidsonhill,
Wow, you are lucky... our Farm ID number is 9 characters long.... My tattooer is only 5 characters at a time, so that means 3 reloads per goat.. (2 for farm ID, 1 for herd number)

On topic, you asked about lamanchas. I found this site that gives you some easy to follow pictures.... But I guarantee that your goats will be a LOT more green than the ones that they are doing. lol
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/tattoo.htm

This is the tattooer that I have, it was really easy to operate. they seem to be sold out at the moment, but the people there were really polite and answered a lot of my questions :)
http://hambydairysupply.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1816

As for what to tattoo, you need to contact the Scrapie people at Toll Free: 1-866-USDA-TAG (873-2824), they will give you a farm ID number that goes in one ear, and then you need a herd/animal number in the other. The herd/animal number has to be unique for each goat. but the lady at the USDA said I could put pretty much anything there as long as I kept records. I use: MF (for Mcqueen Farms) 2 (for the year 2012, but other people have a letter system that I don't know) and then a two digit number for the goats, 01 and 02.
So Phineas got MF201 in his ear and Candace got MF202 in hers.
Our tattoo is not a scrappie tattoo it is a Registry tattoo from ABGA, American Boer Goat Association, We use scrappie tags for our scrappie information. Those numbers are quite long.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Since our goats are pets, I really don't want the tags in their ears. Ours are not purebred or anything. but we need the scrapie stuff to move them across state lines.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
For my nigerians the steps are the same as 20kids except that ours are registered with ADGA (American Dairy Goat Association) and AGS (American Goat Society) and I had to make sure our herd tattoo was kosher with both registries so my kids can be registered with both at the same time (dual registry).

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Our scrapie id (IN27RF11) I can tat w/ just RF11 b/c I registered that as our Scrapie ID tattoo...they won't assign RF11 to anyone else, so it ID's our goats the same as our tags do....and I had both ADGA and USBGA give us that number, so "RF11" does it all for us.

Tail web tattooing is a pain, but doable. You just need help holding them, b/c it's not like they stand there and let you do it. Ouch!