Ear issues? Maybe? Update and need expert advice!

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
coso said:
I smell mine. I know thats gross but if it is just earwax I wipe out with a wet wipe, pour a little peroxide down it. They will sling it out. If it is infected I have used Today and use a little in the ear. My .02. :lol:
Today in the ear for an infection? That's a new one to me...but hey, if it works, it works. I'll remember that.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
The wax was greyish, but just the outermost wax, so I was guessing that it was dusty/dirty, because the inner wax was normal yellow earwax. So I am still not 100% clear on if I need to be concerned and treat for mites, but I imagine I will know in a few days, because if it is mites it will be all waxed up again.

She was not a happy little goat, but she has clean ears now! I used some of my dog's ear cleaning solution on some 4x4's.

What is Today? Never heard of it.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today is a mastitis treatment for cattle that are currently in milk.

Oat Bucket Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Its a problem with LaManchas because of the way their ears fold. We just clean ours monthly when we do feet. We use peroxide and clean the outside good then use a suringe to get some of it down in the ear.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll start cleaning them regularly. I still have to take a look at the other La Mancha doeling's ears, but I suspect hers are ok. Her mom was mostly Nubian/Boer and her ears aren't so closed.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
EEEK! Something definitely going on in that ear today! I re-read this thread and didn't see any descriptions of what I saw today. There was the usual feeding scuffle as I filled hay bags and hay racks, and Plum is the lowest goat and gets bonked the most. She got a big bonk behind my back and when she streaked past me, I saw some goo on her ear and cheek. It looked like poo from a hen or the guinea, which happens on occasion.

I happened to have a clean paper towel in my pocket and my dh was there, filling water buckets, so we grabbed her and I cleaned it off....it was definitely coming from that ear. Ew. It didn't smell, and she was not sensitive about it being handled (other than the normal insult of being restrained....it didn't take much to then handle her ear. But I handled her ears with every bottle when she was a baby to prepare her for any future issues). I can't really get inside the ear with my finger/paper towel, as her ears are pretty closed tightly normally.

The goo was a light brownish, not quite yellow, not fully brown, definitely not grey, and certainly not crusty....it was like gloppy chicken poo but all one color. She has not been rubbing her ear or shaking her head, and I spend time with her every day, usually twice a day, as she is a favorite.

Waddaya think? What do I do?

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I use hydrogen peroxide wipes and wipe it off every day until it clears up!!!

Even with the update, I suggest to just keep on wiping it off, but I'm not an expert.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Eww.....where is helmstead and emmets and rolls??? Come on, ladies! Need ya! There are other pros here, too....I want your input.

Emmetts Dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
No smell huh??? Usually an infection will present a terrible smell as well.

But goats dont get alot of ear infections. Unless they are subjected to cold weather..etc. Which just may be the case in our area. I know windchill was -5 this am when I went out...so I would'nt rule out infection.

Mites however can also cause secondary infections as well. But goats can get a back up of goop in the ear and it needs to be flushed out per se. Soften so they can shake it out really.

Soooo...with that said. I would clean out her ear first. You can mix 1/2 water with 1/2 peroxide and put it in her ear. She will not love this...but try to let it sit for a moment to soften if plugged. Then she will shake her head and the yuk will go all over!!! :sick Not fun but needed.

Then I would get some VET RX in there to cover mites. If that was her initial issue. You can also use Ivermectin...but Vet RX works well for ear mites in goats.

I would also give her some LA200 or Biomycin..whatever you have for a 3 day treatment to cover any infection that may have arose.

I would clean her ear twice daily...for the next few days...just incase its clogged.

But in my gut...with ozzzze I tend to think infection..Maybe its just early enough so the rot/stink :sick did'nt set in.

Good luck...I have not had a goat have an infection in the ear. But I have had one clogged. But I do know ear infection is rare in goats and when it happens it is generally due to cold weather.

Once you clean the ear out good...you might be able to see if something dislodged and there was a goop blockage. So I would play it by ear!! :gig
Kidding!

I would think she would have more pain and smelly goop with infection. ??
But you never know.

I will keep watching...sorry...hope it helps???