Easy breed to show

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
steerrider said:
cows with large udders should not be ran.
Tell that to the cow that runs through the fence. That unbright cow I referred to yesterday used to love to jump the chains at the end of the barn instead of going into her spot. Then she would go out through the heifer fence and run to the other end of the heifer pasture. :rolleyes: Maybe, she missed her calling in life and should have been used for jumping!

Where do you guys show? At fairs or do you setup special shows? I've seen the chuckwagon races you have there in Iowa and enjoyed those, it would be interesting to see some of the action you have told us about.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
cows have minds of their own.an they will run to keep from being milked at times.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Becuse most that ride cattle are pretty spread out, we get premissioin to show at horse shows allong side the horses.. Of course not in the halter classes ;) We have people that team pen, rope, run barrals, etc.. but normally at horse shows.. That German cow jumping was also an excobition at a horse show.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If it is dairy, I would go with a jersey, small and docile. Linebacks are also a smaller and very well tempermented breed. I halter broke, clipped, and showed my jerseys since I was 5.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
you are right jerseys are easy to halter break.because they are so small.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Riding cattle---reminds me of: Bodacious, Mossy Oak Mudslinger, Lil Yellowjacket and others. Here is a link to a video of Bodacious that I found interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZEVPWR-uA

Might not be the genetics that you might want a 10 year old to show. I'd wait till he/she is at least 12 or 13. LOL!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
oh my...
welcome MReit...my DD, btw,
and it was an Ayrshire she was clipping and showing at 5. I could find that photo and embarrass the bejeebers outta her!

I find out all my kids attempted some heifer-riding during chore-time at one point or another. One of their chores was to feed the yearlings out back ;)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Imissmygirls said:
oh my...
welcome MReit...my DD, btw,
and it was an Ayrshire she was clipping and showing at 5. I could find that photo and embarrass the bejeebers outta her!
Busted! :gig

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i was 7 or 8 when i broke my 1st show heifer.an i had to pretty much do it by myself.because my dad said if i wanted to claves.i had to break them to lead.