ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

redtailgal

Reaction score
:hugs

This part of having critters really bites.

I a sorry about your snugglebuddy, and am hoping for the best.

How is your hand? Dont forget to take care of yourself, too.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
My hand is better, thank you for asking.

Boingo is doing pretty good this evening. The vitamin B definitely gave him an appetite and he's had 2 small meals today. The fluids are keeping him hydrated and he's getting a little bit of energy.

We're actually kind of hoping that it's diabetes...sounds bad to hope for a certain illness but it's the easiest to deal with.

I hate to say it but this whole thing has put me into a bad frame of mind. 2011 was a terrible year and this is how I end it...with a carry over problem to start the new year with :( DH wants me to be positive but it's really hard. Add to that some other things going on and it's just hard to be positive right now. But I'll try because Boingo means a whole lot to me.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
elevan said:
My hand is better, thank you for asking.

Boingo is doing pretty good this evening. The vitamin B definitely gave him an appetite and he's had 2 small meals today. The fluids are keeping him hydrated and he's getting a little bit of energy.

We're actually kind of hoping that it's diabetes...sounds bad to hope for a certain illness but it's the easiest to deal with.

I hate to say it but this whole thing has put me into a bad frame of mind. 2011 was a terrible year and this is how I end it...with a carry over problem to start the new year with :( DH wants me to be positive but it's really hard. Add to that some other things going on and it's just hard to be positive right now. But I'll try because Boingo means a whole lot to me.
I was hoping the same. The lesser of two evils. Sending positive thoughts your way.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Boingo had to go poo at 2am so I grabbed the collection container to get a fecal sample. He raced off the deck and I was right behind him but when I got to the lower deck it was slippery with frost. My feet went out from under me and I fell hard onto my backside. My head hit the deck and then bounced to hit it a second time. I laid there for a few seconds not sure what had happening or what / where was going on. DH opened the door because he'd heard the thump and found me laying there and asked what had happened. When I told him that I'd hit my head, his response was "You can't even get a poop sample right". I know that he was joking but this caused a huge fight. I sent him after the sample.

This morning I have the pain in my head from a concussion, pain in my neck from the whiplash action of my head bouncing and pain in my back from the fall. Didn't get out of bed until 9:30a. Chickens / guineas / ducks didn't get out of the coop until 10a.

Obviously 2012 is not starting out a good year at all. I have to wonder what I did in early 2011 to have a curse put upon me as the year began to fall apart big time in May and has continued since then. Maybe I'm just talking nonsense...the back of my head is thumping after all.

I just gave Boingo his fluids. He's getting better at this process but I still tie one of DH's socks around his mouth now after the incident before.

In a little while I'll give him his vit. B and baking soda along with his eye drops.

Still gotta get a urine sample from him at some point today. DH is gonna have to do that one.

I had to leave haying and watering to DH when he gets home this afternoon too. (Don't worry they have plenty to get through the morning). I'm dizzy when I'm standing up and to go out to release the poultry was almost too much.

I'm already seeing a minor improvement in him. But understand that it's only temporary. We need to decide on a diagnosis and a course of lifelong treatment.

One thing I noticed that both I and the vet skipped over was this when discussing Fanconi:
Once a working diagnosis of Fanconi disease has been made on the basis of a POSITIVE urine glucose in the absence of elevated blood glucose (and without predisposing events, such as poisoning or renal infection), then the following tests should be run (those would be the really expensive tests).
We didn't get a urine specimen (they'll have that tomorrow). BUT...Boingo's blood glucose was elevated, so based on that criteria for a working diagnosis then it wouldn't be Fanconi. Makes it much easier to diagnose as diabetes I would think.
Dr. Jack had told me that if I hadn't brought up Fanconi (something he's never had to deal with) then he would have diagnosed Diabetes. But the possibility of it being Fanconi made him cautious in that concern.

Well there's your update on Boingo for the day. I'll keep you posted of any changes and of his appointment in the morning.

Thank you all for your support and good thoughts for my cuddle bug.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope you feel better Em. Please be very careful with a concussion. The worst thing you can do is try to do too much, too soon. Sounds very hopeful for Boingo. Diabetes is manageable. I had a diabetic cat for years. Twice a day insulin is a pain but he lived for 10 years after the diagnosis.

Cheers and hugs. :hugs The Karma wheel is spinning and it will spin your way again soon.

autumnprairie

Reaction score
Em, I hate to hear that you fell again. :th I have one question do I need to get the bubble wrap and tape out? :D :D( You know I am just teasing right)
I like to hear that he is improving on the course of treatment that you are doing. Keep you head up and I hope all gets better you are due for a much needed reprieve

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
DH has threatened the bubble wrap route too :rolleyes:

I finally broke down and just took an Rx pain killer (Fioricet). I've held off because I say some stupid things when I take it. DH has threatened to post video on Youtube :( So in about an hour I expect to be in the funny farm. But the pain just got to be took much.

My mom made a nice New Year's day dinner tonight. We only have one traditional dish for New Year's...boiled cabbage with dimes. You sanitize dimes and add them to the cabbage and then dish it out so that everyone gets a dime. The dime is supposed to bring luck for the new year. I told Mom she was too late that we should have ate at midnight because I had already started the year badly. Then I asked if I should eat the dime to reverse my luck...just kidding of course...well sort of anyway. I opted to put the dime under the mattress on my side of the bed...heck it might work :/

Dinner was - Garlic herb salmon, coconut shrimp, lobster cakes, vegetable medley, boiled cabbage, wild rice with sundried tomatoes. With berry pie for dessert.

Boingo is currently mad at DH who took his OSU doggie sweater to wash. So he sulked to me and "asked" for a blanket to cover up ;)

We've got both of the specimens that we need for Boingo's appointment wrapped up and in the fridge. He'll get another round of fluids this evening and once in the morning. Then we'll be at the vet around 9a to get a blood draw to check his glucose. Here's hoping for a manageable diagnosis and a future healthy dog :fl

And here's hoping for a lucky dime that actually works this year :fl

autumnprairie

Reaction score
elevan said:
DH has threatened the bubble wrap route too :rolleyes:

I finally broke down and just took an Rx pain killer (Fioricet). I've held off because I say some stupid things when I take it. DH has threatened to post video on Youtube :( So in about an hour I expect to be in the funny farm. But the pain just got to be took much.

My mom made a nice New Year's day dinner tonight. We only have one traditional dish for New Year's...boiled cabbage with dimes. You sanitize dimes and add them to the cabbage and then dish it out so that everyone gets a dime. The dime is supposed to bring luck for the new year. I told Mom she was too late that we should have ate at midnight because I had already started the year badly. Then I asked if I should eat the dime to reverse my luck...just kidding of course...well sort of anyway. I opted to put the dime under the mattress on my side of the bed...heck it might work :/

Dinner was - Garlic herb salmon, coconut shrimp, lobster cakes, vegetable medley, boiled cabbage, wild rice with sundried tomatoes. With berry pie for dessert.

Boingo is currently mad at DH who took his OSU doggie sweater to wash. So he sulked to me and "asked" for a blanket to cover up ;)

We've got both of the specimens that we need for Boingo's appointment wrapped up and in the fridge. He'll get another round of fluids this evening and once in the morning. Then we'll be at the vet around 9a to get a blood draw to check his glucose. Here's hoping for a manageable diagnosis and a future healthy dog :fl

And here's hoping for a lucky dime that actually works this year :fl
:fl :fl :hugs keep us posted

:fl