ELeVan ~ Honaker Farm Journal

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Boingo doesn't even want to get out of bed today. Not to drink, eat or go potty. Can't get to the vet until tomorrow. Gotta keep him hydrated, so I decided to give him a couple of Sub-Q fluid pockets (right or wrong). They absorbed within minutes. Obviously his poor body needed the hydration. I'll do it again this afternoon I think. I'll probably ask the vet to give him an iv bag of fluids while we're there tomorrow.

redtailgal

Reaction score
I am sorry. Sounds like it was a good call giving him the subq fluids. As long as he is absorbing so quickly, I'd saddle bag him every 3-4 hours.

Is there anyway they can take him on an emergency basis?

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
They could take him but I have no way to get there. DH is at work. My mom is at work. I have the boys. The only vehicle available to me is the farm truck (a 2 seater), so I can't get myself, 2 boys (who must be in booster seats) and a little dog to the vet in that. :(

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
He moved! Granted it was just to get under the covers and cuddle but he moved!

He's been laying in the same spot in the center of the bed since about midnight last night. Which is not at all like my squirmy little guy.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep him hydrated with Sub-Q fluids throughout the day. I'll give him some more Canine Red Cell too as he's awfully pale.

I kind of worry about doing anything that will throw off his blood tests tomorrow but I don't want to lose him either. If it's Fanconi like I suspect then his tests are gonna be awful anyway.

redtailgal

Reaction score
Well, it's a good sign that he moved. poor little guy.

Cuddle him up today. Cuddles are good medicene.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Yeah, his favorite spot is under the covers plastered to my legs. He likes to cuddle under a cover as he's always cold in the winter (super short hair). So, guess I'm staying in bed today :p

redtailgal

Reaction score
lol, hey whatever works.

Vixen is like that. She wants to be under the covers. I tease her sometimes. I'll let her get all situated and then ove over about an inch, just far enough that she is not touching me. It gets her all riled up, snorting and carrying on as she resituates so that her entire little body is pressed against my leg, lol.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have your vet get in contact with Ohio State University. They do a lot of sighthound health research there. It is with greyhounds but they may be able to help. I have a doctor's name around here somewhere, let me see if I can find it. I Hope your baby improves. :fl :hugs

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
If you can find it, just shoot me a PM Jodie.

I did send my vet the contact info for Steve Gonto, M.M.Sc., Ph.D., the premiere authority on Fanconi Syndrome in the Basenji. He is out of Savannah, GA though. But he's made this one disease in one specific breed his life's work. He's even been able to track down the specific gene that makes them susceptible...that happened just last year.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Never underestimate the power of a downed animal. :(

I just gave Boingo saddlebags of Sub-Q fluids and sustained some pretty good injuries for my trouble.

Earlier DH helped me and Boingo didn't even flinch when I stuck him. So, I didn't think he would be any hassle this afternoon when I had to do it again by myself and so I didn't even muzzle him.

WRONG!

As soon as the needle penetrated his skin he attacked and it was all I could do just to get my body parts out of the way and a hand clamped around him mouth to stop the violence.

I now have a quarter size hematoma on my left arm. My right hand sustained most of the damage and came away bloody and painful. I cannot close it fully or hyperextend it. :( I hope that there's no lasting damage because I will not go to get it checked. The minute you say dog bite they take the dog and quarantine them. Boingo is sick and it was my fault.

It's taken me 15 minutes to type this little bit. Man, it hurts.