End of rabbit season?

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey there ya go! I always tell my buck (BigBoy) that his babies were born and give him extra loving and tell him he did a good job. But ya know I am that crazy lady that just keeps bringing home animals and talks to them lol.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Only sane, normal, real people talk to their animals. Mine, of all species, knows exactly what I am saying. Of course we all talk to our animals, and for some of us those are the intelligent conversations. :)

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When these last two litters came we celebrated with some watermelon. It was their first watermelon and they loved it.

Flamingos

Just born
Reaction score
Nice litters..... And boy are your rabbits busy... We are a little slower than 39 babies.... LOL

We have a new buck 1st litter and has not turned out well. Think we had 7 kits to start lost one at birth. We are down to 3.... Was confused on what was happening, to the babies.....Thinking ok the Doe might have to go or the buck.... Well yesterday discovered what has been happening....
attachment

Moved them into an older but better snake proof cage..... He grabbed one while I was standing there..... Baby is ok. the funny thing is that when I went to move them the runt was missing, I thought that snake found his way back and got him.... But he was trapped under the food bowl..... LOL

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've been having problems with rats. A few days back I checked on my rabbits before going to bed (they're on the back patio) and I saw 3 rats in the cages, with the rabbits, eating out of their bins. The next day I bought the TomCat rat poison system. It was in a box that locks to keep children and pets out, but there are a couple of holes that allows mice and rats access. I filled it with the poison AND some rabbit pellets hoping to entice them in. That night I saw the rats back in the cages, and they didn't touch the TomCat. The next night I put the poison into the drop pans, mixing it with the rabbit pellets. I also saw to it that all the food was out of the rabbits' bins. That night the rats did get into the poison. For a couple of nights I did not see any signs of the rats, but the last couple of nights we've had one coming. It seems to ignore the TomCat poison, so I've decided to try the D-Con. I'm hoping I might fool it with the different poison.

Yesterday I noticed one of my 3 week old babies had a nick on it's head, by it's ear. It was bleeding pretty bad. I cleaned it up and put some Neosporin on it. This morning, a few of my newborn kits had signs of being bit. I'm suspecting it's the rat. I'm thinking of bringing them in at night. Does anyone have any advice on this?

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm out in the country so I deal with mice in my barns and in my rabbitry. Never ending battle but I only use traps. Rat poison dehydrates the rat and it goes a bit crazy before it dies. It can end up dying right out in the open. The problem with this for me is my dogs. Eating a dead rat or mouse that died from poison is deadly to dogs and I would also assume cats. Some of the new traps are very easy to use and you can dispose of the rodent without fear of having to touch it, which works out great for me. Yuck!,

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't have any advise about the rats or that problem yet. I wish I could see the pic of the snake that's crazy! I came outside to.check the rabbits water one afternoon and found a 6' chicken snake wrapped around a water bottle beating its head up against a rabbit's cage trying to get in. Scared the bageezes outta me! I can't stand snakes! But I killed that sucker! Lol
Anyway I was going to tell VickieB that we just had a phantom pregnancy. We bred the doe, did the "pregnancy test" a couple days later, then waited 35 days and no babies! Heffer even pulled a little hair! Day 35 came and went, nothing. Day 36, threw her back in with our new buck, Hercules, and bred her 6 more times. Heffer better have babies this time or her name Is gonna be crock pot! (Her name really isn't Heffer, just what I'm calling her now cuz she made me mad! Her name is really BigMama)

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Moonshine, do you have your buns under air conditioning? I'm afraid my buns are sitting out in my backyard, and the heat has hit. We've shut down shop for the season...

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No ours are not in AC. I've heard of people doing that but my grandpa has raised them all his life and he's always left them outside. I wonder if its hotter under your porch by the house than it would be under a shade tree. That's where ours are located by the barn. I know at our house the AC unit is by one porch and that porch stays hot because of the hot air blowing from the AC unit. Our other porch stays pretty cool and when my grandpa sits out there to read he just puts a fan on him and it stays pretty cool with the fan going. We just discovered this year that the porch by the AC unit was about 10 hotter than the rest of the yard. We have moved all the dogs food and water and anything else that hung out on the porch to the barn and everyone is much happier and cooler.