End of rabbit season?

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have two does that were expected to kindle today. I noticed something odd today, though. Both does have not cut back on their eating. With their first litter they cut way down on the amount of feed they were eating. My other two does did the same thing. This morning, when I went out to feed the rabbits I realized that they have not cut back. I'm wondering if that's a sign they aren't pregnant, and that the baby bunny season is now over. Has anyone in the Texas/Oklahoma area noticed their does not kindling?

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure rabbits are not seasonal breeders. Here we don't breed in the winter because its too.cold but I've heard of people putting out heat lamps and breeding year round. You might give them a few more days. Our first time does took 32 days and I've read their gestation period is 29-35 days.

Moonshine

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh and I always perform a "pregnancy test" on our does about 4-7 days after they have been bred meaning I put the doe back in the bucks cage and if she fights him off or won't let him breed her she's most likely pregnant. Although I wouldn't recommend you doing that if your does are so far along because it could cause stress and the doe could get hurt.

Sycamore27

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I believe the issue is more heat sterility in bucks than anything with the does, but I could be misinformed.
If you had 90 degree weather around the time you bred them the bucks may have been all blanks. 90 degrees is the threshold I've heard from a few people for when you lose potency from your bucks. I've been told they will still mate the does, it just doesn't do any good.
How many days in are they now?

Cheers,
Jessie

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Today was their 31st day, which is when they kindled last time. While petting one of the does tonight I stroked her belly and I could feel some pretty large lumps. She's got to be pregnant, so I'm going to assume at this point that the two does are going to be later than they were with their first litter. I think they spoiled me the first time. They were due on a Monday morning, and by golly, at about 9:30 on Monday morning the two had their litters, at the same time! Just like clockwork...

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mom one has kindled. I had nothing to worry about... She had 11 babies. There was a 12th, but it was about the size of a grape and had not developed.

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new buns! 11 live kits is a great litter!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks, Nawma! I was beginning to think she was going to have a smaller litter since she was a day late. This will be her second litter and she really was a great mom on her first. She had 11 on that one. We lost two. I'm hoping not to lose any this time around.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Congrats on that litter size. You have some exceptional does in your rabbitry. I know you cherish them.... of course you cherish the buck too. After all, it does take two to tango!