Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule ; it called for both red hots and cinnamon oil. I don't keep red hots here anyway so have to at least get them.
Makes no difference... 3 places, no pickling lime. I have 2 pkgs pickling salt, thought I had one of the pickling lime also. Will check the co-op here.... car brakes are done anyway... need to go get it tomorrow. So will do that in the morning... If not, I know that Sharp Shopper will have it as I have seen it there in the bulk foods/spices big aisle....

Got 10 drops rain at the farm I was "fixing info" in their computer and; less than 1/10th (.1) inch at the other farm I went to test right after... Basically nothing....
Might get some tonight/in the morning... not counting on it.
I think @Mini Horses is going to miss out also.......
It was hot today... 86...not as hot as yesterday.... but humidity was really high.. with nothing to show for it. Supposed to NOT get down below 70 tonight. Most nights have cooled down to mid 60's as is normal for us.

While at Walmart's, I went to check on the lemonade since they don't always have it... WELL, seems like they are not going to carry it anymore or something... got 4 cases (48 cans) for $.42 a can..... Usually it is more like $2 something a can....I bought all they had in the freezer case... it sure won't go bad if it is frozen solid.....It might be "out of date".... whoop-de-do.....people are so ridiculous about the "dates" on stuff....

Got home right at dark. Had to put RI Reds in crate they were on top, but that's fine. carried stuff in the house. Will get the samples packed in the morning and will drop off on the way to test tomorrow afternoon. I will leave plenty early so I can go to Sharp Shopper in Harrisonburg... 50 miles north and on the way to test.
Tired and sweaty sticky. Shower and bed on the agenda.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, got a few drops. Didn't even wet the pavement, just drops on windshield coming home from work. Maybe tomorrow. Calling for t-storms late day. Working anyway🤷 so go for it.

🤣 I bought frozen limeade at Walmart $.47 cent, got 6 cans, when there Sat. Looking for something else and saw it. I don't make it often but enjoy it now & then in summer. Mine was in date, didn't matter.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have the cinnamon and clove oil which I use in making pickles and in fruitcake at Christmas (which reminds me I should make some this year - it is getting hard to find the glaceed fruit). Got the clove and cinnamon oils at the Spice Shop in Seattle's Pike Street Market. I can't get pickling lime anywhere in my area, so I ordered it online.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never looked at the lemonade date... it might be in date... little yellow sign on the metal shelf thing in front of it just said closeout... I am going to check the other walmart when I go by since I use alot of it in the tea..... it'll keep in the freezer in the plastic "cans" that are sealed and all.... usually buy 12 at a time since they don't have it all the time... and I cannot justify buying Minute Maid when I am mixing it in the tea.... it doesn't make a bad jug of just plain lemonade either...
Heading to bed.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went down, dropped off part I picked up for DS in town on my way through yesterday. Went from there to the co-op... had a minor coronary on the brakes, but I knew they were going to be expensive... parts mostly... they only charged me 2 hr labor for the brakes and changing oil and all so not that bad overall for labor... BUT the parts were about $400... calipers on back 3 months ago were 110... these for front were 118.... 3 months....o_O. Brake pads were cheaper BUT... we replaced the 2 hoses to the calipers because after they get some major age they sometimes collapse... they were OVER $30 EACH... for 2 little hoses that weren't 6-8 inches long.... REALLY??

Went ahead and left the truck for the oil change as it hasn't been done for nearly 4,000 miles and needs greasing and all that.... has a back brake that locks up if you hit it too hard... but I will have DS look at that before I do anything about it. Been enough expense... but oil and all will be done in all the vehicles and the outback is the one that gets the most use with work....

Going to pack the samples and head on out. Drop them off, go to Sharp Shopper and take my time today. Got the meters already in the outback to go...

Looks like the rain is done here... no rain in other words. This afternoon it is supposed to fire up but south and east of the Blue Ridge mountains so we will miss out. Going to head east and looks like quite a good bit so @Mini Horses will should a soaking out of it.
If we do not get rain here, I have decided to put the soaker hoses on the beans in the garden so they will be worth picking. Get one more good picking out of them then pull them. If they don't get some water it will be like picking leather britches already done in the garden...
For anyone that doesn't know, leather britches is an ole timey way to hang and dry green beans for future use... look it up... a real "appalachian southern way" to preserve them...

Just ate some lunch so going to pack the samples and go. It will be midnight before I get home.... :(
:th:th:hit:hit

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Home at 12:30... they said milking at six and didn't start til 7:15.... nice people but I HATE going to this farm.... he doesn't stop talking either when I have the meters all in the car and want to leave...
Checked a few threads... going in to get a shower... Did lock up chickens first thing home and they are safe....
Not a drop of rain here today...

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed morning.

Need to get motivated, just got up 8:30 after not getting to sleep once I went to bed... How in the he// did I ever do the late nights waitressing in the banquet dept and get home at 2-3 a.m. and get up by 7- 8 and just get with it??? Must be the easing into the "Prime" thing now????:idunno:duc.

Some clothes in the washer, the jeans and shirt from last evening just stink and I will not try to get a 2nd day out of them.

I am going to go out and get the soaker hoses on the beans... just when I had pulled them all up a week ago to put away. Won't have anything worth picking if I don't. Give them one good watering and whatever they make will be enough. Need them to at least be firm and plump like snap beans should be, to make a picking.

Nice out this morning. 62 overnight and not any humidity..some white puffy clouds.

Got to get with DS and find out the status of the sorghum-sudan grass/hay making. Probably will be making it as dry hay now that we have at least 7-10 days of no forecasted precip, instead of having to wrap it. He will be happier about that . Have 2 more farms to get scheduled to test so have that to work around. Also find out how he has made out with finishing the last place to bush hog to satisfy the landowner... and find out what is going on with gf situation.

Samples need to be packed and dropped off too....

I did stop at Sharp Shopper on the way to test. I had gotten 1 bag of the pickling lime here at the co-op for 6.99. It is 16 oz I think. But at least I got it. So at Sharp Shopper I found it for 4.99..... REALLY... it is in sealed bags so I got a couple to keep here. Also got Cinnamon hearts ( like the red hots I think) and the cinnamon oil and some red food coloring and stick cinnamon in bulk sized spice containers.... every thing on the list plus the unsweetened applesauce in the little single serve pks that were 9.99 marked down to 4.99 because it was out of date.... for 72 in the box; that's like .07 each... so what if they are past the "best sale by date"... da#@ things will last for quite a while sealed in little packages like that... also got 24 cans to a case of canned cat food for the kittens for 15.99... that's .66 can for 9-lives or one of the name brands... Kittens get 1 can a day along with dry food.... 4 different flavors to "tempt their palate"..... :rolleyes:. They are really growing now... look like the size kittens you would bring home at least. Playing and running across the floor sounding like a herd of elephants...
Still haven't remembered to take a chicken out of the freezer yet... maybe today when I go out near the shed to unload meters out of the car.... cooler nights will make cooking it not so oppressive.
Want to get on the cucumbers today too. Going to go pick more at the farm since they said I was welcome to them. And get another bag or 2 of corn. Drop off some slicing tomatoes for them also.

Past time to get going....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
he doesn't stop talking either when I have the meters all in the car and want to leave...
Married to someone like that. Then when finished with HIS side of conversation he says "Got things to do, hurry up Ridge" to me sitting patiently in truck!
:barnie
single serve pks that were 9.99 marked down to 4.99 because it was out of date.... for 72 in the box; that's like .07 each... so what if they are past the "best sale by date"...
I buy those for the trailer when we are camping and use them with instant oatmeal. I have left them in the trailer for 2 years and they were still fine. Unless the package or can is bulging or noticeably bad, I think the dates are just suggestions. I have used jam that I made 5 years ago, and it is fine too.

Glad you got the pickling lime cheaper, and some good buys.