Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
and of course our time is "free" too... we're just farmers that have nothing else to do except ride our tractors in the sunshine and enjoy life.
:yuckyuck:gig:gig:gig

All those hanks of hay twine i carefully save and neatly hang on nails are worth MONEY!! I use hay twine for lots of things.
I packed a box of hay strings in with the stuff I took to Texas. Tried to hide it but the men found it and gave me grief. Those pieces of twine come in handy! I will need them since I won't be getting the small bales of alfalfa in Texas!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop , I braid lead ropes and such from them... braid a ring right into the end when I start, use a snap of whatever kind I want, and then when it gets frayed or crappy, cut it off, toss it and reuse ring and snap to make another one. Used to tie my one jersey out on a braided one.... I will make them with the green or the sisal color (tannish) or mixed sometimes.
I am looking for a pattern/directions of some sort to braid a mat for the doorway... we have tons of the strings.
We do not use plastic strings... I get the thick plastic ones from one of the farms that makes the big sq bales.

Getting ready to head for town, get tractor parts, drop off tomatoes to farmer and see about getting more corn tomorrow... drop reports at a farm, go to another and fix some stuff on the computer and then go test... and go by grocery store and get the pickling lime at least to start the process. Will probably have to go by Sharp Shopper as they have bulk foods and carry alot of baking/cooking supplies... Mennonite/Amish based store....for the cinnamon oil.... but I want to start it tomorrow and can go by Sharp Shopper store on way to test tomorrow eve...
What's the best way to core them? Not sure what I have... might have to slice some to core out seeds.... will have to play with that.
Peppers in freezer, beans draining and will be vacuum bag sealed this evening..

Was going to pick more beans last eve and they are limp from lack of moisture. There are quite a few of the wax ones showing enough size to pick so am really hoping that we do get at least some of the rain they keep saying... plump them out so they feel like "snap beans"....
Set the trap with the cantaloupe peels...
Ate a sandwich, going out to put stuff in car and go.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cut them in half and use an apple corer. Then cut off the stem and blossom ends until you reach the point were they are rings. You can throw those ends into the pot too, they just won't look as nice as the rings. When I made these for sale in my Boutique pickle and jam business, I used the 3/4 pint jars. The taller cylindrical ones. The rings fit perfectly in a row into the tubular jars. When making them for the family, I used regular pints. They are too labor intensive to use quarts! LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop , I braid lead ropes and such from them... braid a ring right into the end when I start, use a snap of whatever kind I want, and then when it gets frayed or crappy, cut it off, toss it and reuse ring and snap to make another one.
A 4-H father in central California showed my boys how to braid them and make sheep halters (no need for rings or snaps). Unfortunately, I can't remember how they did it. For a while we had no hay ropes but dozens of sheep halters laying around. LOL Not all the halters were good examples, of course.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop , I braid lead ropes and such from them...
I've braided on to the ends of every small tool in the barn - ya' know like especially my utility knife and stuff like that. It's saved me tones of time looking around - that braided tail is easy to spot. And of course there are those slip leads with carabiners.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You don’t use cinnamon oil on the pickles, use Red Hots cinnamon candy. Or at least that’s what I used. Guess I need to go look at @Ridgetop’s recipe