Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
The idea is to eat for a shorter time frame so that your body goes to the fat stores to burn for fuel when you do not "feed it"...
I wonder if that is how DH and I lost weight while in Texas. We ate oatmeal or an egg for breakfast then nothing except water until dinner at around 4:30-5:30. No carbs either. We were doing lot of work on the barn so didn't miss eating since we were drinking water by the case. DH lost 22 lbs. in 4 weeks and I lost a pant size. Didn't miss food at all. We want to keep that up. Let me know how you do.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been in and out, and came in for more to drink. I did some little things... Got all the hoses with new ends on them. Took them back out to the garden to put down and use. Sun and clouds... some real dark ones and I said please.... but they went north of us. I came in and looked at the radar, and it went about an hour north and looks like it had some serious rain but was also here and gone. It looks like more coming, I just hope it hits this area.

During one of the clouds passing through, I put some sunflower seeds at the ends of rows, and pulled some weeds down along established plants but then sun came back out and I had to get out of the sun. It hit 93 here, and the humidity was up. Maybe a little later. I am not going to try to get any mulch this evening, it is just too "close " out there. Tomorrow is supposed to be a littler "cooler" might hit 90 ....:smack...... I would like to maybe get another row or 2 of potatoes put in, a little later on. We'll see. It worked pretty good this morning, but hoping that maybe it would rain, and I would have already had more planted, to get watered by the rain.

Holy cow... we just got a pouring down, wind blowing , thunder and some lightning... didn't last that long but I got pretty wet, running out to close car windows... It has passed through, but the radar shows more to come. Had to go out and put the tarp back on the mower in the carport... sky is lighter to the south but black to the north... DS called said it is pouring up at that pasture... and it looks like they are going to get a little bit more than us.... WONDERFUL for the grass to get a drink, and wash off the dust and maybe help this new orchard grass here across the road from me...

Needless to say, nothing else got done in the garden, but that is okay... It will make it better to do more tomorrow... and help settle in the 2 rows I got in this morning... :yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::yesss::weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:bow:bow:bow:bunny:bunny:jumpy:jumpy:highfive::highfive::highfive::woot:woot:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:weee:weee:weee:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Went out and checked the rain gauge... We got right at .8 inch of rain... and it blew so much right when the first wave came through that might have been a smidgeon more... BUT....... WOW .......

This will save the orchard grass seedlings that were nearly dead across the street. Give them a chance to get some growth and the roots to hopefully go deeper..... granted, we could still get a drought later on, but this will go SOOOOOO FAR to salvaging the hay fields and the pastures....
AND our CORN..... it was about 4" tall and really really suffering... it should shoot up from this and hopefully will really get the roots to reach deeper as the surface dries some and the moisture from this rain has soaked down through the topsoil.....

It looks like it hit most everyone around here, and a good part of VA. I think @Mini Horses didn't get much until earlier this morning, but radar showed a pretty good soaking there. Hope that @secuono got a good soaking out of it too, for her pastures.

Thank You God and Mother Nature....

Cool 65 overnight. Partly cloudy out there still, but supposed to clear off and be sunny later on.
Weird to say this, but it will be TOO WET to get in the garden today.... The good thing is that all the stuff I did get planted, including the 2 rows of potatoes yesterday morning, got a good "watering in"....
Sun is now showing over the tops of the trees.....

Maybe I should have fixed the soaker hoses sooner....:hide:hide:hide:hide.

Company from up north, comes in late this afternoon... 4 generations. My mom's (and my) friend, her daughter, her daughter, and her 18 month old daughter... They will go east to the Chincoteague area for a couple days to just do the sight seeing thing... The annual pony penning there, is not until the 4th of July week, and that would be way too crowded for them... with such a little one... and costs way more for rooms etc.... they didn't want to come for that, just enjoy the beaches and the ocean. Looking forward to the visit.
Went out and let the hen out, and checked the rain gauges... will go out and check the one in the garden in a little bit... Today is supposed to be a little cooler but hotter again by the weekend... not complaining.. so thankful for the moisture....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
YAY for the life giving RAIN!!!! I’m so happy for y’all. Drought killed the beautiful big oak trees that ringed my doublewide. The oasis of shade turned to sun baked HOT. I very well know drought, had 2 months of 100+ degrees last summer, finally got rain. I think we got your share and half the country’s share of rain. LOL

Rain! Do your happy dance!

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:weee:weee:weee:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Went out and checked the rain gauge... We got right at .8 inch of rain... and it blew so much right when the first wave came through that might have been a smidgeon more... BUT....... WOW .......

This will save the orchard grass seedlings that were nearly dead across the street. Give them a chance to get some growth and the roots to hopefully go deeper..... granted, we could still get a drought later on, but this will go SOOOOOO FAR to salvaging the hay fields and the pastures....
AND our CORN..... it was about 4" tall and really really suffering... it should shoot up from this and hopefully will really get the roots to reach deeper as the surface dries some and the moisture from this rain has soaked down through the topsoil.....

It looks like it hit most everyone around here, and a good part of VA. I think @Mini Horses didn't get much until earlier this morning, but radar showed a pretty good soaking there. Hope that @secuono got a good soaking out of it too, for her pastures.

Thank You God and Mother Nature....

Cool 65 overnight. Partly cloudy out there still, but supposed to clear off and be sunny later on.
Weird to say this, but it will be TOO WET to get in the garden today.... The good thing is that all the stuff I did get planted, including the 2 rows of potatoes yesterday morning, got a good "watering in"....
Sun is now showing over the tops of the trees.....

Maybe I should have fixed the soaker hoses sooner....:hide:hide:hide:hide.

Company from up north, comes in late this afternoon... 4 generations. My mom's (and my) friend, her daughter, her daughter, and her 18 month old daughter... They will go east to the Chincoteague area for a couple days to just do the sight seeing thing... The annual pony penning there, is not until the 4th of July week, and that would be way too crowded for them... with such a little one... and costs way more for rooms etc.... they didn't want to come for that, just enjoy the beaches and the ocean. Looking forward to the visit.
Went out and let the hen out, and checked the rain gauges... will go out and check the one in the garden in a little bit... Today is supposed to be a little cooler but hotter again by the weekend... not complaining.. so thankful for the moisture....

Got some rain! 🥳 Hoping for more, go away drought!
Screenshot_20240627_084549_Chrome.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been out in the garden area... did weed some of the stuff in the purple beans and get the hay down there and some more around the squash plants. Also got some newspaper I had out there, down between 2 rows of potatoes and covered with enough mulch hay to keep it in place and prevent weeds from coming up. I also moved the 2 long "strings" that I use to mark the rows, over to mark the next 2 rows but it was a little too wet, and did not want to carry 10 lbs of dirt on my shoes. Tied up one side of 2 /16 ft panels of the tomatoes so they will grow up ... will sucker them another day. Planted the rest of the package of gourd seeds to see if they will come up. The cucumbers are coming up nice and a few came up that I didn't expect so it will be a crowded 1/2 panel if any of the gourds do finally come through but I am thinking that they may not. Also managed to get a little more hay down between some of the potatoes from one end so I could walk on the hay as I advanced down the row. But it was getting hot, the sun is out full... even though it is only 87 on the recording thermometer, directly in the sun is hot. So, I quit.
The soil is sooooo "soft" compared to how dry and hard it had gotten... and I see a bunch of fist sized and smaller rocks out there to pick up.....

Got a jar of sun tea steeping... and have to eat something since I am hungry.

Got 2 more ticks this morning... crawling across the shirt... got 1 off the back of my neck at the hairline, and one out of my hair last night. This is ridiculous... Called a couple of extermination companies.. one returned my call and referred me to someone else, because of my concern of the garden vegetables, and the honey bees that have taken up residence in the holly tree and I will NOT do anything to poison them... so left them a message and hope to get a call back. Pyrethrins are supposed to kill them... I am not sure of what it might do to the honey bees. We'll see. It is just aggravating. The 2 this morning makes it 46 to date... No sense in getting upset but it is making me mad.

Okay, past time to eat something to take the edge off, as I expect we will all go out to eat something tonight....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
They will go east to the Chincoteague area for a couple days to just do the sight seeing thing... The annual pony penning there, is not until the 4th of July week,
Those Marguerite Henry books were wonderful! I had a set and so does my DIL1. Probably so did every horse mad little girl.
Also managed to get a little more hay down between some of the potatoes from one end so I could walk on the hay as I advanced down the row.
I will have to tell DS1 and DH to use the waste hay from our bales in the garden next year. I used to go to the feed store and buy runed alfalfa "cow hay" and peel off flakes to use in the garden. The benefit of spiled alfalfa is that the nitrogen really did improve the soil. I already told DH we should start saving the feed sacks to use like you do for weed control.