Feed concerns

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does anyone keep up on GM feeds and which brands claim not to be? I have a hay farmer who does not use GM and of course we dont either, but the lactating does usually get feed and I dont want to drink milk that is contaminated.

Dont bother lecturing me that its fine, I have read enough and talked to enough farmers to know it isnt. For us, the main reason to farm is to feed the family healthier food;)

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Any source that is certified organic is, in theory, non-GMO.

Or ask around for local sources (be prepared for a certain amount of eye-rolling and lecturing from the feedstore guy and whoever else you ask), bearing in mind that if it is not *certified* organic then it is not *necessarily* non-GMO just cuz it's billed as organic/natural/no-chemicals/traditional/whatever.

I do not believe that any commercial brands of feeds OTHER THAN things billing themselves as certified organic are believably GMO-free, since they are likely to source whatever's handy and cheap at the moment.

Pat

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:welcome

I would agree, the only way to be SURE, is 'certified' organic.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yes, go with something certified organic by a reliable certification. I don't know if it extends to animal feed, but recently in the United States they passed a law saying that foods can no longer have a label on them claiming to be "GMO free" because they don't want anyone implying that there is something inferior about GMO products...:rolleyes:

goodgirlmolly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I trust Poulin & have used their organic grains for years. They are a family owned business. I also like Green Mountain feeds. I stay way way away from any Cargill "organic" feeds because I don't trust them one bit. I like to use family owned feed businesses as sometimes even their non organic feeds contain no GMO's.
Just a note - it is nearly impossible to find a grain that is 100% non contaminated. There are some good documentaries about our food as it relates to Monsanto etc.
Good luck with your search! :)

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You can reduce your organic grain costs by buying whole grains and slightly sprouting them. That doesn't answer your question, but it is a money-saving tip! :p

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
goodgirlmolly said:
I trust Poulin & have used their organic grains for years. They are a family owned business. I also like Green Mountain feeds. I stay way way away from any Cargill "organic" feeds because I don't trust them one bit. I like to use family owned feed businesses as sometimes even their non organic feeds contain no GMO's.
Just a note - it is nearly impossible to find a grain that is 100% non contaminated. There are some good documentaries about our food as it relates to Monsanto etc.
Good luck with your search! :)
Cargill is marketing an "organic" feed? Seems to be against their principles, as they're one of the big names in GMO crop development. :/ It is definitely difficult to be sure your feed is 100% non contaminated, as a GMO growing farm might be right next door to a farm growing an old heirloom variety, because of cross pollination and things getting blown around in the wind, things can get mixed up.

I wish it wasn't so expensive to feed our animals (and ourselves) organic, non GMO foods exclusively. It seems like the healthier the food, the more it costs!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Shoot, I wouldn't by any feed from Cargill just on principle.....and their record of deceptiveness.

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Freemotion, you mean taking scratch grains and get them wet so they sprout a little and feed it to them? I am going to try that.
I have seen enough on Monsanto to cause me to look for organics. from what I gather, we will know who is contaminated by who gets forced to be GMO.

thanks all

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Bryannjamie said:
Freemotion, you mean taking scratch grains and get them wet so they sprout a little and feed it to them? I am going to try that.
I have seen enough on Monsanto to cause me to look for organics. from what I gather, we will know who is contaminated by who gets forced to be GMO.

thanks all
If the scratch grains you can get are whole and not crimped or steamed, yes, that would work. I use whole oats or whole barley, and would love to use wheat or other grains if I could get it. I soak them for a day, then transfer them to a drilled bucket and rinse them daily until they sprout, then feed them to my goats and poultry. Just as the sprout emerges, then a little more as it grows, but not to the green stage. I usually have three big buckets going, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on how many critters are eating, time of year, etc.