Feed concerns

AlaskanShepherdess

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If you are really going to be purist, find out if the source of your plain grain tests to make sure it hasn't been contaminated by GMO, because that happens, and that is how Monsanto is making a killing from farmers. The wind spreads the GMOs pollen and then before you know it all grain will be GMO, and of course Monsanto is accusing farmers who's crops have been pollinated by gmo pollen against their desire of "keeping seed" and then they sue them. Monsanto disgusts me.

Bryannjamie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh, I am well versed on the evils of Monsanto, and how poorly it affects everyone. My opinion- NWO- one world food source, its coming

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
You can also reduce grain costs by feeding chopped veggies. Do you have room to grow them yourself? I am feeding mangels that I grew to my one lactating doe and she loves them. There was a learning curve to growing them. This was my third year, and my first real crop. They didn't do well in the two previous rainy years, but this past drought year, I watered.

I add the mangels to the sprouted grains to stretch them and to add variety to her diet. I also had a few squashes that I accidentally forgot in the garage that froze, and she loves those, too.

I cleaned up my garden and the neighbor's garden (organic, too) and got some overgrown kohlrabi, turnips, mis-shaped carrots, beets, and various holey greens. Makes great milk. Fed on the milking stand, I don't notice any off taste in the milk.

I have a client who eats a lot of organic fresh veggies purchased in the grocery store, and she saves all trimmings and unused veggies in the freezer for me and I bring them home in a cooler every two weeks. Mya's favorites are brussells sprouts trimmings and the big leafy stems from cauliflower. I get 2-4 days worth of trimmings just from this one trusted person. Some people just hate to see anything go to waste, just gotta find these people!

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My goats LOVE all the leftover brussel sprouts and greens and cauliflower and cabbage leaves too! And the carrot greens. They hate peas though :/.

MsPony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Besides what Free said, I would email/call different feed places. I use Oxbow for my rabbit(s), and while their "normal" line isnt certified, they ARE organic, but the farms around them arent so they cant be certified. Politics, semantics, blegh.

Btw, Dynamite (Marketing) is the only 100% "big name" organic from start to finish, in the warehouses they spray diatomaceous earth compared to other places that in warehouse, spray pesticides. I use their grain for every single animal (dog even gets a handful as a treat) and love it.