Finnie- Finally A Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
So he’s been away for a week on a motorcycle trip with one of his riding buddies. He gets home tonight and has tomorrow to rest up and then leaves Monday morning for a work trip to England. Will get home from that one on Friday.

So I’ve got a little less than a week of my “staycation” left. I thought I would get a lot of stuff accomplished around here, what with not having to stop and cook dinner most nights. The weather has been wonderful. I don’t know why I haven’t accomplished more. I did get all the mowing done last weekend. Did a feed run to TSC today. Hauled all 25 bags to the cans in the storage shed out back. And the reason I was at Lowes was to get mulch for all the flower beds. Got that, but also accidentally brought home 10 more perennials to plant. :hide Thought I was almost done planting for the year. Just wanted a few mums and a couple more plumbago. But they had lots of plumbago on the clearance rack, so I bought 6! I was really good and didn’t buy them all! But then later I wished I had bought them all, and I only talked myself out of going back for the rest because I told myself they were probably already gone by now.

I did tell myself that if I was good and got all these 10 plants in the ground promptly, that I can go back and look for pansies to add around them. And then check if any plumbago are left. 🤫 But I really need to wrap up the planting tasks so I can focus on fall coop cleaning and winter prep.
Have to laugh only because I’d be doing the same! I went down the violet rabbit hole earlier this year thanks to @farmerjan and @murphysranch 😊😊. Now they line my kitchen window. Got one on Amazon, found one at a family nursery, and well leaves that are now plants 😊😊.
Have a fun other half of the staycation!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never knew violets had those different shaped leaved! Or trailing varieties either. Or flowers with so many petals. In my early 20’s I had lots of house plants, mostly African Violets. I can see that violet varieties have come a long way in 45 years! I had a 8x4 plywood top table with 2 hanging shop lights, plus tables in front of windows, all covered with violets. I would have flipped over all the varieties you have! Is the trailing variety brittle and must you be careful not to break off the trailing stems.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I never knew violets had those different shaped leaved! Or trailing varieties either. Or flowers with so many petals. In my early 20’s I had lots of house plants, mostly African Violets. I can see that violet varieties have come a long way in 45 years! I had a 8x4 plywood top table with 2 hanging shop lights, plus tables in front of windows, all covered with violets. I would have flipped over all the varieties you have! Is the trailing variety brittle and must you be careful not to break off the trailing stems.
I’m not sure, because I’ve not had one get that big yet. This one is my third. The first two didn’t survive, but I have several babies growing from one of them and hopefully they will grow up.

In the 70s, my great grandmother had lots of violets in her north facing window. She used to propagate them. Hers were all the same regular purple color if I remember correctly. They were all in terra cotta pots, and I remember she kept paper towels between the leaves and the pot rims to protect the leaves from moisture.

Until farmerjan posted about Violet Barn, I only knew about 2 kinds of leaves and a few different colors of flowers. The choices in the online catalogs are overwhelming! I really like the variegated ones.
Oh man - I remember as a kid going to the Museum of Science and Industry and they had a phone with video as a thing of the future. Forget what they called it, but it wasn't called video. Maybe two-way??
Just like on the Jetsons!

I wonder if back then they thought there would be video phone booths? Because did they even predict that cell phones would make phone booths obsolete?

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just like on the Jetsons!

I wonder if back then they thought there would be video phone booths? Because did they even predict that cell phones would make phone booths obsolete?
Oh man - yeah! I don't think there ever was any hint of a though of what we have today. The only thing that comes close would be the comic strip Dick Tracy and his two-way wrist radio. Though wasn't the Jetson's a thing that looked like a table top radio with a little video screen?

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh man - yeah! I don't think there ever was any hint of a though of what we have today. The only thing that comes close would be the comic strip Dick Tracy and his two-way wrist radio. Though wasn't the Jetson's a thing that looked like a table top radio with a little video screen?

😂😂

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I actually did get all 10 new plants in the ground! I guess that means I get to go back to Lowes tomorrow and see if they have any more plumbago. And pansies. I left space for pansies around all the stuff I’ve planted in the last few weeks. And I can always find spots to stick more plumago.

We got a little bit of rain yesterday and this morning, and more is supposed to come tonight. But after that the forecast is dry for the next ten days. It looks like I will have to be doing a lot of watering for these newest plants.

So tomorrow will be errand day. Lowes, then Aldi for blueberries, coffee creamer and empty boxes for my egg customers, and then I think I will stop at the Crumbl store. It’s in that area, and their cookie flavors this week look good to me. Banana cream pie, brookie, cookie butter… :drool

Aldi has gallon milk boxes (4 gallons to a box) that fit 9 egg cartons perfectly. And their half and half boxes (6 quart containers to a box) fit 4 egg cartons. A lot of my egg customers like to stock up when they make the trip over here. These boxes work a lot better than grocery bags. I wish more of my customers would remember to bring back these boxes. They bring back the empty egg cartons, but they somehow don’t bother with the carry boxes. 🤷🏼‍♀️