finnsheep feeding

finnsfinnsheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just an update :
I called around to multiple vets in my area and one quoted me $30/sample and would only do individual samples (so i would be paying about $240 for my whole herd), it seemed a bit expensive to me. Another vet quoted me $58 per sample but would do a composite (even sheep+goats together) sample of the whole herd which sounded obviously much better.

I am considering running two separate samples of either females / males since they're penned separate or i could do all sheep / all goats but the pens would be mixed. I'll be collecting samples Wed/ Thurs and dropping them off Thurs, however advice on dividing my samples (or should i just do one sample of everyone) would be appreciated! I want everyone to be in good shape for breeding in Oct.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow! That’s a lot! I need to hang out my fecal exam sign! Hahaha! Yeah, down a dead end road in the middle of nowhere in cattle country..,,,,, I’m betting I wouldn’t get any business. 😂

finnsfinnsheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow! That’s a lot! I need to hang out my fecal exam sign! Hahaha! Yeah, down a dead end road in the middle of nowhere in cattle country..,,,,, I’m betting I wouldn’t get any business. 😂
I thought it was pricey as well. When I was doing my CAE/OPP/CL/Jones testing the $30 vet quoted me over $400 just to send out the samples, not including the price of the vet coming out and drawing the blood! I did it myself and got my whole herd testing for about $220 instead : )

finnsfinnsheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Brilliant! Learning to draw blood is on my list. Running fecals is a valuable tool to learn.
I had a friend who is in large animal vet school come out to help ,she was eager for the practice : ) the hardest part is finding the vein to poke! It was much easier on my goats than the sheep tbh