First babies!

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh! No, my little one in definitely not a peanut then. He/she seems very normal, just small. He is about 1/2 the size of the others. Since these are meat rabbits, that's not a good trait to have...

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The runt of Mom 1 died a couple of days ago, and yesterday I found one other kit in her nest dead. She was trying to remove it. It looked as though it weren't being fed.

Today I checked all of her remaining kits (there are 8 left) and they seem fine. But when I checked the kits of the other mom I found 3 that definitely were not being fed. They were just skin and bones. While she was laying out on the wire I pet and scratched her so she would continue to lay on her side and put one of the thin kits beside her to nurse. She wouldn't let it nurse, though he was doing his best to. I'm afraid we're going to lose the 3.

Does anyone have a suggestion or should I just let nature take its course and chalk it up to a first time litter?

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You could try putting those babies in with your other doe.

VickieB

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The kits are now 2 1/2 weeks old. We lost 2 from each nest. I tried putting the last two that died in with the other doe, but she wouldn't feed them either. The remaining kits are all looking good. They are up and about, very active. They jump out of the box throughout the day, will stay out for a short while, then jump back into the box. They are so cute! This has been a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to when my other 2 does kindle, which should happen in about 2 1/2 weeks.