First Freshener (this saturday..twins!) - Udder question...

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My first freshener just had twins this Saturday.. They're beautiful, a buckling and a little doe. Kind of scary for me because it was my first "delivery" assistance, the last twin (buckling) was backwards and I had to help out...but no complications- mom is doing okay - so are the kids..BUT when I went to check tonight I noticed that one side of her udder was a lot tighter than the other. I decided to milk it out to make it even because she was so tight...it was a good time, let me tell you, I'm going to be investing in a hobble here asap! All that said, I milked out about a quart (by no means the entire amount in there) - I noticed that along the ridge dividing her udder, there is a hard spot...along the 'line', is that normal udder development? Like I said, she's a first freshener -her udder isn't that big, it's still very tight to her body..which is probably good right?? I've never done this before, our other goat is on her third year..her teats are a nice size and it's sooooo much easier to milk. Am I dealing with just first year udder, or am I dealing with mastitis?? It's not hot or enlarged or anything -- just that "hard" feeling along the division....Any advice is GREATLY appreciated -- with the whole milking thing too, never had to deal with such a tiny little teat!! - Thanks ahead of time for your help!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
(Disclaimer: I am not a vet and no one should listen to me. :lol:) Most likely no. My does have had hardness in their udders due to congested udder. The best thing to do is to massage those hard spots out. I use an udder cream or balm that doesn't have camphor in it (it will sting like heck!) and put it on the girls with engorged teats and udders.

The time I think you need to worry about mastitis is if the udder becomes very hot, there's weird and funky stuff coming out, there's blood coming out, or the milk is curdled. Off tasting milk (after the colostrum is finished) and a fever are other signs. Congested udder can lead to mastitis if you don't work it out. Chances are, the kids are nursing on one teat and not both.

Good luck!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not a vet either,

Not likely mastitis in a first freshner that just freshened. Not likely at all.

Her udder being tight to her body is good. You don't want one that hangs, or is pendulum. A pendulum udder can produce plenty of milk and raise babies. But, it's really more of an issue of longevity. Being productive longer. Sorry ladies, but a pendulum udder is the same as saggy boobs.

But, if yours is tight that's good.

scalaway

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice - I appreciate it! The kids are just nursing from one side - I've been milking out the other - hope that's the right thing to do... It's normal looking milk/ colostrum - and it evens out when I milk it 2x a day - such tiny teats though- hoping they get bigger like her dam !!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
OneFineAcre said:
I'm not a vet either,

Her udder being tight to her body is good. You don't want one that hangs, or is pendulum. A pendulum udder can produce plenty of milk and raise babies. But, it's really more of an issue of longevity. Being productive longer. Sorry ladies, but a pendulum udder is the same as saggy boobs.

Hey, my saggy boobs work just fine, thank you very much. Oh wait, that's for other things like holding up the dinner plate at a picnic...

Massage helps clear up the congested udder... And makes mama more cooperative on the milk stand too...

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
OneFineAcre said:
I'm not a vet either,

Hey, my saggy boobs work just fine, thank you very much. Oh wait, that's for other things like holding up the dinner plate at a picnic...

Massage helps clear up the congested udder... And makes mama more cooperative on the milk stand too...
:lol:

Missy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
OneFineAcre said:
I'm not a vet either,

:lol: :gig :lol: