Gardens and Chickens...and Goats? Oh My!

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm fuzzi, from eastern NC. I have a small yard with gardens and bird feeders and ponds (100 gallon each). A couple years ago I got back into chickens after a 30 year hiatus.

But I want goats.

I got to know goats a little, back when my children were small, at a friend's mini-farm. I milked her Nubian.

This photo was taken at Goat Milk Stuff in Indiana. We've stopped there twice while on vacation.
IMG_20220711_135958507_HDR~3.jpg

And now that I am close to retirement and will be at home more, I can start planning for a couple goats.

I'm here by way of BYC, and am hoping for as wonderful an experience here as I've had there.

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I added a more appropriate photo for my avatar.

They're not mine, I am goatless, but hopefully in the next few months I can add my own picture.
1000053811.jpg

The photo is of my first goat acquaintances, from about 1989. My daughter's friend lived with her mom on a mini farm. I can't recall their names but I got to milk the Nubian.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from East Texas. I was a member first of BYC, then TEG, SS and then BYH. I studied goats and sheep, finally settling on hair sheep. I raise on Katahdin hair sheep. Dreams do come true!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
:welcome:frow:frow:frow

I'm in the Shenandoah valley area of Va. Been crazy weather here this year. NO GOATS.... but have, or have had about every other animal there is... had 3 goats, couldn't be more glad to trade them off to a guy who plowed my garden MANY years ago... on top of the truck and the chicken coop cured me immediately of having them... got them in a trade for something to start with...
Mostly cattle, poultry, sheep, big garden.....

Last edited:

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Welcome from East Texas. I was a member first of BYC, then TEG, SS and then BYH. I studied goats and sheep, finally settling on hair sheep. I raise on Katahdin hair sheep. Dreams do come true!
Thank you! I found your thread about putting up fencing, working my way through the posts.

So much to learn.

I only have a third acre, but I am the last house on a dead end street, in a community that is very relaxed, no HOA! I checked the county website, don't see any regulations about goats.

I was thinking last night that perhaps I could start with older rescue type goats, maybe give a dry doe or elderly wether* a home while I learn.
:pop

*Yes, two so they have company!

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:welcome:frow:frow:frow

I'm in the Shenandoah valley area of Va. Been crazy weather here this year. NO GOATS.... but have, or have had about every other animal there is... had 3 goats, couldn't be more glad to trade them off to a guy who plowed my garden MANY years ago... on top of the truck and the chicken coop cured me immediately of having them... got them in a trade for something to start with...
Mostly cattle, poultry, sheep, big garden.....
I have driven through the Blue Ridge area, did most of Shenandoah park, three times...boy do those mountains call to my heart. Dh and I planned on retiring to WV or eastern Kentucky, but that's not going to happen now, so we're staying here in the flat, wet, humid, and mosquito-infested area of NC between the ocean and Raleigh. :gigAt least I can garden for nine months out of the year!

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Backyard photos

From the front, facing west.
1000053849.jpg

Compost area on left (rain barrels to be installed)

1000053848.jpg

Looking back, just past the compost barrel. Downed trees took out the fence along the left. I'm getting a tree "guy" to remove the trees and clear out the brush so I can have the damaged sections of chain link fence replaced.

That's my hoop coop on the right.

1000053835.jpg

Behind the coop, southwest corner of the property. Vines will be removed from the tree when the rest are done.
1000053876.jpg
Looks "goaty".

1000053885.jpg

View from the back fence. Those are my raised bed gardens, not going anywhere. The green brushy area to the left just needs to be chopped to the ground. The burn pile is waiting for November.

1000053836.jpg

Old shed, maybe convert to goat shed?

1000053839.jpg

Northwest corner...a goat paradise? Chain link behind is in good condition.

1000053838.jpg

North side. Property line and chain link fence is just beyond the cedar trees. The guy next door rents, and his backyard is 6' tall, mostly dog fennel :sick

1000053840.jpg

Looking east, cedar trees and property line are on the left.

I see lots of possibilities here, especially along the back and south (woods) side fences.
:pop

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I see a goat paradise for browse and clean up!! 😆 They'll do the job for FREE :lol: :love yeah, they clean up like the best park crew ever....of course, those raised beds would be fair game if in their field. :idunno2 goats, maybe 4-5 days.

Reconsider your "tree guy". Buy 2 goats.

Ahhhh, yes, I have 40ish. Welcome to the forum.

fuzzi

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I see a goat paradise for browse and clean up!! 😆 They'll do the job for FREE :lol: :love yeah, they clean up like the best park crew ever....of course, those raised beds would be fair game if in their field. :idunno2 goats, maybe 4-5 days.

Reconsider your "tree guy". Buy 2 goats.

Ahhhh, yes, I have 40ish. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you!

I need tree guy to get rid of trees so I can have the fence repaired and THEN I can get goats.

I've read conflicting information about fence height requirements for goats. My chain link is 4' tall. The neighbor on the west side also has chickens, two GSDs, and one yappy thing. They generally stay in their yard, only one of the GSDs made it over a couple times. They're friendly to me, but I don't trust them. Would attaching a 5' or 6' wire/stock fence to the chain link on my side be enough? I'm also thinking about stringing a second woven fence about 3' in, or even run electric wires.

I want my goats safe.