Getting a pair of goats on may 4, few questions

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have been wanting goats for a while now, Last week, my neighbor said his daughter had some kids that she needed to get rid of, and I of course could not refuse. they are a mix breed, unsure of their lineage, but they are miniature (Mom is 90 pounds, Billy is about 110) she had twins, a buckling and a doe, (we will be cutting the buckling). These will be for pets. We will get us a milker (or 2) at a later date, but this way they will have a bigger herd to run with. The fenced area we have is about 100' x 40' with access to a 20' x 20' (3 sides and a roof) shelter.
Anyway.. on to the questions.

My main questions are dealing with feeding:

1) Hay - What is the best kind to get (keeping costs low) for them?
2) Goat chow, is it enough (with hay) or do I need to get some type of grains as well?
3) Mineral blocks, What is the main ingredients to look for when choosing one? ~ Also, where to place the block? near the food? or in the run?

I know I will have more questions at a later date. but I think we have all the medical stuff taken care of (wife is a vet) and I have done a great deal of research on the maintenance involved (hoof trimming, etc..). I am at the point where I just want to make sure they are happy when we get them to their new home.

Thanks guys

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Hay - you want to get 2nd or 3rd cutting hay. Alfalfa/grass mix is a good one. Make sure no mold or anything.

Goat Chow - will be fine but should be a supplement. Hay and grazing should be their main diet. But growing kids should get some grain, make sure there is ammonium chloride in the feed. The male needs it. You want to have a 2:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio for all feed/hay that goes into them.

mineral block - big no no, you want loose mineral made specifically for goats, Manna Pro makes a good goat mineral and you can get it at TSC.

CoffeeCow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for that post. We haven't gotten the feed or minerals yet, I wanted to check with the experts first. Glad I did. :)

on a side note, they should really merge this site and BYC.. I feel like a newbie over here hehe

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
There is a goat feeding discussion on here where members have listed what they feed and supplements that they use. You can find the link in my signature below.