Getting my first horse!

Mo's palominos

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
At 17 she has probably gotten through all the silly stuff young horses like to pull, especially on inexperienced owners. Dressage horses are usually VERY well trained horses. If you can, make a smaller turn out area and maybe a stall in the barn at least until she feels comfortable in her new home. See if the people you got her from can bring some hay they are feeding her now so you can transition her to the hay you are feeding now. She sure is a pretty horse. (or maybe it's a he, I can't remember). Be careful and best of luck. If you have a friend with horse experience, they will probably be more than happy to help you out.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
You seem to have misunderstood (tho I guess I can see how).

I am not exactly criticizing (well, I do think you've been quite unwise, but that is a statement about behavior, not about you as a person).

I am expressing distress because I've seen this SOOOO many times over the years and know how it often turns out; and trying to make you aware that you are leaping in blindfolded to the deep end of the pool and actually, realio trulio, wishing you luck because it is quite possible you will need it.

It's going to be an "intensive learning experience" for you, that's for sure. Hopefully it works out. At least it is not the most questionably-described type of horse that people sometimes do this with; but even the most solid-gold dead-broke plug-and-play horse has idiosyncrasies and does not *stay* solid-gold unless *maintained* by proper training/handling. (e.t.a. - dressage horses are *not* usually especially any easier to handle than anything else, and in any case this is not a dressage horse, merely a horse that has done a little entry-level dressage)

Apologies for upsetting you, but standing by what I've said,

Pat

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went ahead and canceled her adoption for now. And this horse was a lot better described and the owner far more helpful and told me lots about her. I've searched for awhile and passed on most because they were not ridden, green broke or never worked with. Others that were ride-able were far above my price range. This mare has been ridden for years and the price was less than I though, which was a great surprise. Most are 1200 or even above 2k, just not feasible
I was planning on having her in a small fenced area for awhile. We live next to a large horse farm/stable and they have people who I could ask for help if I needed it. Another neighbor has mini donkeys and then another has a standard and a mini horse. Down the road are two more families with 2 horses and then just one.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
go to your neighboing farm, take lessons, offer free help to them for teaching you about horses, their care, handling, etc. become a sponge and soak up everything you can, then go horse looking.;)

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I dunno whether you want to hear from me anymore since I am 'not a very nice person' :p but I am impressed if you have indeed put off getting that horse. That would be smart, under the circumstances.

No amount of description, credentials etcetera can ever substitute for going and handling the horse yourself, before deciding whether it's an appopriate horse for you. Heck, the aforementioned "free" half-Lipizzaner I got... for me, he has always been quiet and solid and unusually sensible and very easy to handle, but his previous owner was getting rid of him because she thought he was dangerously psychotic. <shrug>. Reverse the direction of the transaction, and, ya know ;) Plus horses do not act the same for person A as they do for person B or C or D, it is a two-way interaction.

If you think this horse is so wonderful, what about taking a road trip to go visit her? Take a day off work, support your local gas-station owners LOL It might be worthwhile, she might BE "all that", who knows... if not, you will still have learned something, and sharpened your horse-looking-at skills. Or at least see if you can get some EXTENSIVE video of her, not just of her owner doing stuff with her but state that you would like to see a novice handling her and see the mare intentionally spooked to see how she reacts. That would at least be better than nothing, if you are so sure she's a great deal.

(You have had her vetted, yes? If not, that may have something to do with the price. Honestly I'd be suspicious of someone who would sell a horse TO a novice sight-unseen, the seller may merely be desperate but it does set off some alarm bells)

There is no hurry, there's no shortage of cheap horses in the world unfortunately and some of them ARE good 'uns, you will find one you can VISIT FIRST and GET VETTED.

Best of luck, seriously, only meant in the best of ways,

Pat

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
Well you sure are not a very nice person...
Really? she's not nice just because she gives you an honest and educated opinion that you don't like? That seems a little rude. I think she's a very nice person and very helpful too. She is right about everything. Horse ownership is not something that you can take lightly. You should never, ever buy a horse sight unseen. This horse is pretty old. At 17, you should not even consider buying her unless she is checked by a vet. Really, any horse you are considering should be checked by a vet, no matter the age. And it should also be ridden by you.

I had leopard app once that I bought for my son. She was a nasty thing, but i didn't know it until we already had her home. She was too small for me to ride and took advantage of any inexperience person who tried to ride her. When I tried to get rid of her, I had 5 people "test-drive" her and she bucked each one off, even breaking a saddle because she bucked so hard. Finally a woman came to ride her. By the time that woman got done, I was thinking I made a mistake selling that horse. I had never seen a horse perform so beautifully! The difference....that woman knew what she was doing and the horse knew it. She bought the horse and the horse became one of her favorite show horses for quite a few years.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was also thinking of visiting. But I don't want to pay for a vet to see her if I won't take the horse. It's money I don't have or want to spend several times over. She's been far more real to talk to than others. Even the ones who have horses for 1k+ or cheap horses they need to get rid of. We will see, I only have a week for it all, I'd like to have her here at the agreed time if things are good.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
secuono said:
Well you sure are not a very nice person...
Really? she's not nice just because she gives you an honest and educated opinion that you don't like? That seems a little rude. I think she's a very nice person and very helpful too. She is right about everything. Horse ownership is not something that you can take lightly. You should never, ever buy a horse sight unseen. This horse is pretty old. At 17, you should not even consider buying her unless she is checked by a vet. Really, any horse you are considering should be checked by a vet, no matter the age. And it should also be ridden by you.

I had leopard app once that I bought for my son. She was a nasty thing, but i didn't know it until we already had her home. She was too small for me to ride and took advantage of any inexperience person who tried to ride her. When I tried to get rid of her, I had 5 people "test-drive" her and she bucked each one off, even breaking a saddle because she bucked so hard. Finally a woman came to ride her. By the time that woman got done, I was thinking I made a mistake selling that horse. I had never seen a horse perform so beautifully! The difference....that woman knew what she was doing and the horse knew it. She bought the horse and the horse became one of her favorite show horses for quite a few years.
It was just that one last post that got to me. Rest were more polite and all.