Getting my first horse!

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
secuono said:
I was also thinking of visiting. But I don't want to pay for a vet to see her if I won't take the horse. It's money I don't have or want to spend several times over. She's been far more real to talk to than others. Even the ones who have horses for 1k+ or cheap horses they need to get rid of. We will see, I only have a week for it all, I'd like to have her here at the agreed time if things are good.
So what happens if you buy the horse and then find out it has a chronic problem or lameness? Then you are stuck. you have spent the money on a horse you can't ride. Just because the woman seems more real to you, that does not mean she is honest. MANY people lie about their horse's health and/or training problems. It's more common than you think. Even though it costs money, not vetting a horse, especially an OLD horse, is a very unwise decision. Good luck to you!

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
secuono said:
I was also thinking of visiting. But I don't want to pay for a vet to see her if I won't take the horse.
Oh sure, definitely... the usual thing is to see the horse, then if you like it have it vetted, then if you are ok with what the vet says THEN you would contract to buy/recieve the horse.

(e.t.a. - personally, I don't think the majority of sellers intentionally lie about their horses, but I do think the majority of sellers are pretty stone-cold CLUELESS about various aspects of their horses [especially soundness], especially in lower price brackets but even surprisingly often in the higher ones. You just cannot go by a person's word, not when it means accepting such a huge financial liability as is the care of even a healthy sound horse)

Pat

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
and sometimes the new owner is so excited about getting the new horse, they don't really understand everything the old owner has told the new owner, especially about soundness issues.

Blue Dog Farms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Very "forward going" is a red flag for me. "Barrel horse", another red flag. It tells me this horse likes to go. I think you actually on the right track thinking of an older horse, a been there done that horse is what you need. Riding when you are a kids is one thing, but owning a horse is a completely differant ball game. And getting one home that you find you cant handle is so upsetting. It is expected that you will ride the horse at least once before you buy, so dont ever feel bad about that. And as far as horse people not purposely misleading, ha yeah right. Not all horse people are nice. They drug horses before you come out, they lie and mislead. Its sad but the facts. I cant tell you how many times Ive been told "anyone can ride this horse" Then the crazy thing takes off with you or is just a nasty s.o.b. I always insist on seeing the owner ride the horse first before I will get on them. Good Luck! Being a hose owner is wonderful and having a horse you love is amazing, but having a horse you cant handle is awful.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the hiding school's horses was very forward going, he[Luke] would even cut off other horses to be the leader. He was my favorite, he would do anything you wanted with ease, never needed a whip like most did. The few times I was late I got stuck with a fat farting pony...that thing never wanted to do a darned thing...Luke scared some kids and got spooked easily some days, but I never had an issue with that or with him getting upset that we weren't first in line, hah.

Anyway, she has offered to send a video of someone riding her and the like. If I post it here or link it, will you guys tell me what you think??

Be Bop N Bubba

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
One thing I have learned in 16+ years of owning horses is I will never know everything. That being said, I have to agree with everyone being worried that you personally havent met this mare. I have bought horses without personally "seeing" them. (within touching distance) BUT they were young and unbroke.... this mare has a speed history and is forward. Now you describe Luke as forward and thats fine, how ever... My opinion of a forward horse is not one who wants to be first but who wants to GO, and this mare has that history. Most barrell horses are not the best for novice or backyard horsemanship. They require alot of schooling work and riding in general. They aren't let em sit and ride em when ya feel like it horses, thats been my experience.
she may be different. Im just worried because you only want occasional riding and even at 17 she is still gonna have some pep.
How much riding experience do you have? Have you always been supervised or are you confident by yourself and in a stressful situation? ie if you are alone on a trail and this mare bucks or bolts can you control the situation? I am not being indignant, its just that it may not have crossed your mind. Sometimes you don't ask yourself those questions cause your to excited about getting your horse.
Knowing your own level will save you alot of heartbreak and possibly spending money you dont have.
I geuss the best thing is get as much info and video as you can, and ask for vet records and call the vet to ask questions, Ive even called farriers before to because they can give you a clue on how a horses feet are like founder, clubbed speacial shoes and such that you may not see in a pic.

I wish you luck and if this mare doesnt pan out there are so many out there that need good homes, and if you are close to a decent stable you may be able to lease/purchase a horse which is another option, providing you with a way to get to know the horse and take some lessons. There are so many ways to enjoy horses, just be careful and take your time deciding :) I'm sorry if I upset you with any of this, Ive learned the hard way at times and I know others who have as well and I don't wish that on anyone.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
She had a 45 acre boarding farm, going down to a farm just over 2 acres with one Appaloosa, an old mini and a few chickens.

Will post/link video when I get it.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
secuono said:
One of the hiding school's horses was very forward going, he[Luke] would even cut off other horses to be the leader. He was my favorite, he would do anything you wanted with ease, never needed a whip like most did.
Um, that's not "forward going" as in barrel horse; that is merely "not total deadhead".

Have you been run away with very often, and how did you feel about it? If you have never been run away with, or get scared or don't know what to do when it happens, I would recommend viewing anything labelled "forward" (or barrel horse) verrrry cautiously.

Anyway, she has offered to send a video of someone riding her and the like. If I post it here or link it, will you guys tell me what you think??
I can't view video myself (slow dialup) but I am pretty sure that others here would be happy to help, so I'd say sure go ahead :)

Pat

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
watching a video of someone else riding a horse is not going to tell you a thing about how the horse will ride for you. If you can't go ride the horse for yourself, you really need to forget all about it. This isn't like ordering a book on Amazon where you can go by other people's reviews. You have to ride the horse. There is no way around it.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
watching a video of someone else riding a horse is not going to tell you a thing about how the horse will ride for you. If you can't go ride the horse for yourself, you really need to forget all about it.
True, absolutely true, BUT watching a video can give an idea of whether it is worth a 7 hour drive TO go see the horse -- or, more accurately, whether or not it seems like that would be pretty-guaranteed to be a waste of time. (Videos aren't great for ruling "in" a prospect, but especially when the rider is relatively inexperienced can often be quite useful in ruling *out* prospects)

Pat