Ginger's kidding thread

marlowmanor

Reaction score
So far so good! :thumbsup Pretty little girl. :drool :love Now pop the other one out Ginger! ;)

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
WooHoo! We have a buckling also! Ginger was so worn out I had to go in and help the little guy along, because she just didn't have it in her any more to push. He was born hind hooves first. I have taken pictures but didn't bring the camera in with me because just came in to wash myself up and put on some clothes. I'm still in my PJs and housecoat! The doeling is going to be called Edna, named after Bruce's last aunt, who died yesterday. Don't know what to call the buckling yet. Maybe Ernest, after Bruce's father, who died many years ago. Gotta check with him on that one. He has a white belly band like Ginger and a tuft of white between his horn buds like his sister Trixie. I had to put Trixie in with the chickens because at one point she had cornered Edna and was head butting her and I wasn't going to have a jealous sister hurting anyone! Woo, that's a lot of work! I'm so tired and I still have to work today! Well better get to it. Hopefully work will be coming in slow and I can take a breather before I dive in head first! :weee :woot

madcow

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, we've named the little guy Dirty Ern after Bruce's dad and the doeling after his Aunt Edna. I feel like I just had to run a 5-mile race. Here are more pictures.

Here's Ernie by himself.

8037_gingers-ernie_and_edna_newborn_pictures_015.jpg

The 2 of them together.
8037_gingers-ernie_and_edna_newborn_pictures_010.jpg

Not the best of them, but at least it's a picture.
8037_gingers-ernie_and_edna_newborn_pictures_006.jpg

I brought Ernie into the house and blow dried him off and he went to sleep while Bruce and I were drying him with the dryer and a towel. He's so sweet. Bruce says Edna gets cuter the more she dries off. Haven't weighted them, but I will here pretty soon. Kind of concerned because the little girl hasn't been able to get to the teat to feed and she was born at about 5:30 and it's now 9:15. I did give her some Nutridrench right after she was born and also gave Ernie some when he was about 30 minutes old. Hopefully that will sustain them until they can get some of Ginger's good juice! So glad this all went well and I feel indoctrinated into the goat midwife society now! LOL! It was an amazing experience and I'm ready to buy a buck and get Trixie pregnant! Kids born in early summer would be okay, but I think late fall would be better. So we've got a few months to find the right buck for breeding. Anyway, I guess this is the finale to a very long birthing thread, but I will continue to post pictures over the next few weeks so you can see how they are progressing, or maybe just start another thread just about them. Thanks for following along and for everyone's great advice and patience with all of this! Love this forum! Goats rule the world!