Goat 911 - State/ Country Listing of who you can call

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
julieq said:
We went ahead and signed up for Idaho, since no one is listed. Our phone number and email address is listed on our website anyway, so it's not a big deal.
Good for you!

roll farms said:
I've considered putting myself on the list but...from the calls I get now (TSC loooves to give out my number) only about 1 out of every 4 or 5 callers is willing to actually do what you suggest.
It's sad that people call you for advice and then decide they or someone else knows better. Why even bother to call if you're not gonna consider the advice.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I sold 12 doeling to an experienced Dairy(cow) farmer a couple years ago, confident they would be well taken care of. A year later I hear from his nephew calling me for help with his sick and dying goats. To make a long story short, tHe Uncle's doelings bred, almost all of them kidded out twins, and within two months after kidding he had lost the entire herd except 6 animals. The nephew said, his first goats had just kidded, from someone else, and the same thing was happening to him so he thought he would call me and seek my advice.

Hmmmmm.:(

I printed out a 6 page instruction manual, of feeding, vaccinating, worming and steps to take before breeding, during pregnancy and after kidding to his uncle that had originally purchased goats from me. They did very little of it, and I am sure the goats died of Cocci. I gave the nephew my cocci instructions, again, but by this point I was frustrated and I am wondering why spend all that money not to follow some simple treatment instructions. Not to mention the animals suffered and died.

I couldn't imagine getting random calls from any person with a goat or two. and I would be glad to help as much as I could, but just soooo frustrating.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Why even bother to call if you're not gonna consider the advice.
They're willing to do whatever's free / easy. Tell them they have to spend a little money / make a bit of an effort, and suddenly it's not such a good idea.

:rant

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
elevan said:
Same reason people ask advice on forums and ignore the advice given! :lol:

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
I sold 12 doeling to an experienced Dairy(cow) farmer a couple years ago, confident they would be well taken care of. A year later I hear from his nephew calling me for help with his sick and dying goats.
I printed out a 6 page instruction manual, of feeding, vaccinating, worming and steps to take before breeding, during pregnancy and after kidding to his uncle that had originally purchased goats from me. They did very little of it, and I am sure the goats died of Cocci..
Yep.. I talked to a very experience cattle producer about goats once. He said he'd taken note of all the goats popping up lately and asked me about their marketability, etc...he had in mind to investigate the possibility of adding a few to his farm if they weren't much trouble.

He asked me, point blank, if there was "a lot to know" about raising goats.. I said...uh, well yeah, there actually is. He stopped right there and said very plainly that he wasn't interested in having to learn a whole lot and that pretty much ruled goats out for him.

See, he went about investigating goats in a smart way for two reasons... First, he didn't just assume his cattle knowledge would translate to goats and was willing to accept that it might be difficult, and second, he recognized that his own disinterest in learning goats would ultimately lead to it being an unsuccessful venture..

Most people don't do that.. Most people assume they're easy and/or refuse to believe it can be difficult and/or fail to recognize their own disinterest in learning, so they jump in with both feet and fail..

Consequently, that's why the total number of goats in Kentucky continues to rise while the number of producers continues to fall.. The frustrated noobs sell out and the veterans are there to pick up the extra animals...on the cheap, sometimes.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Well here's my advice for goat owners - especially new ones:

1. Goats require medical care and some basic medical knowledge. If you aren't willing to give that - don't get goats.

2. If you seek advice from someone experienced in goats - be prepared to follow said advice or don't ask. REALLY!

3. If you seek advice from someone with no or limited experience in goats - be prepared that your goats may not do well or may die. Contact a goat person and take their advice.

4. Your goats have specific nutritional needs. If you don't want to know what they are or cannot follow them - don't buy goats.

5. Keeping goats is a commitment. Are you REALLY ready for it? Do your homework first. You really cannot just jump in the deep end and hope to swim.

That said, goats are a lot of fun. Their personalities will give you hours of amusement and some are as companionable as dogs. I don't discourage anyone from getting a goat. But I encourage everyone who does to be prepared to either do what you need to do yourself or fork over the money to a qualified vet to do it for you.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
They're willing to do whatever's free / easy. Tell them they have to spend a little money / make a bit of an effort, and suddenly it's not such a good idea.

:rant
I'm all for being economical...

That said, you do what is needed whatever the cost / effort or get out of goats (or whatever the animal)!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I don't like to spend more than I have to on anything...cars, kid, goats, etc....but I spend what I need to to take care of them.

I can't tell you how many times I've had customers at TSC tell me that buying a bottle of ivomec is more than they're willing or able to do...
Even when I explain it will last them a while, etc.

You can lead a goat owner to medicine, but you can't make them buy....
:lol:

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
You can lead a goat owner to medicine, but you can't make them buy....
:lol:
So very true. I still have things on my list that I want to keep on hand. Stocking (and restocking) my cabinet slowly, but if I am in need of something, I buy it right away. And most of it does last quite a while.

I really wish there were more experienced goat people at my TSC though. I ask for stuff and they get a blank look on their faces most of the time.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
elevan said:
I really wish there were more experienced goat people at my TSC though. I ask for stuff and they get a blank look on their faces most of the time.
If by 'goat' you meant ____, I agree.

Nobody at my local TSC seems to know anything about anything. Hiring knowledgeable people with experience usually costs more money, which is why most folks I've seen in TSC stores are like 25 or younger and couldn't find their own @sses with both hands and a flashlight.

No offense, Roll...there are always exceptions! :)