Goat feeding techniques to make it 100KG+

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
They won't let me bring them into the US b/c Pakistan is not Scrapie or Hoof and Mouth Disease free.

I've begged, pleaded, and offered to bribe officials. No go....

Feed pellets are made when they take different ingredients, grind them, and press them together (extrusion) to form pellets that can be fed to the goat. Has all the 'good stuff' in it already, so you don't have to feed them X amount of this, X amount of that, etc. to make it equal one good feed.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Oh, I see.... we don't have these pellets available here.
Looks like I'll have to feed him grass, tree branches, hay, and some grains like oats, wheat, corn in little qty. What do you say about peels of chickpeas and dried cotton seeds.. I have heard they're good for fattening goats.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
I would probably opt for maize (corn) and peas and feed them fresh - plant and all to the goat. Phosphorus content increases when they are dried and that's when you get into concerns with urinary calculi (UC). Feed fresh (entire plants) if you can.

Are the pulses that you can get fresh or dried? They would provide a higher protein but fresh would be preferable over dried if you can (again because of the phosphorus issue).

Fodder definitely is needed to maintain a healthy rumen function.

Almonds are good for protein and vitamin E but be careful about feeding too many (again because of the phosphorus issue).

I don't know about feeding milk to a goat beyond weaning...it's not really something that I would do.

You mentioned 10 different types of trees...what types (just want to make sure you don't have anything bad for the goats)? These will be good to help you provide the long fiber that the goats need.

'Desi Ghee' (a vegetable oil) would be a potentially good supplement...maybe top dressed over feed in smaller quantities.

Once you figure out the route that you will go - I'd love for you to add your information to my Feeding Discussion Thread (link in signature below) :D

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Fresh peas are just available for a month or so in the market. I'm just going to buy peels of chickpeas from the market as people use these to fatten their goats, along with the dried cotton seeds (after oil is extracted from them) and husk or something(I don't know what it is but I sprinkle it on top of hay)... but goats don't seem to eat hay.
The types of trees ummmmmm... I don't know their english names, sorry. But one is paper mulberry abundantly found near my house. The local names of trees available to me are kikar, shreeni, talli, toot, desi toot, jamnu, chipkali, etc.
P.S. I think the feeding schedule once the goat is about 4 months old is going to be as follows:
In the morning, I will give him hay sprinkled with wheat flour, peas and cotton seeds. Then after a break, I'll feed him lots of branches and some grain like corn, barley or oats. After every two hours I will give him tree branches and before sunset and locking him in his room I'll give him hay mixed with all those thing. He will be fed about 5 times a day.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Cotton seed hulls are sold in my local mill as a bulk builder, so I'm sure that they will be helpful in your task.

I'm a research nut :) so here's what I've found of your trees:
http://www.ethnoleaflets.com/leaflets/rehman.htm

Kikar or babul tree is a type of Acacia - should be fine for your goats, but be cautious about too much as it could cause constipation.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a prett good feeding schedule. Do you have any soybean meal available to you?

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Hard corn is what they like so he has to chew it is good. He will also like sunflower seeds. Trees and tree bark, he will like as well. If he can eat the trees on his own, take him to the trees and let him choose what to eat. That would be best. He will like small amounts of rice, beans, lentils, (high in protein) mixed with oats. But remember, grain is not really good in high amounts because it makes a LOT of fat on the goat. And you will get better weight from muscles. Beans are not grain. Rice is grain. Goats also like peanuts, and fresh vegetables, squash, pumpkin, and fruit. I know where you live there are many fruits and vegetables available so you will have to experiment with what he will and will not eat. But if it is green and growing, he will probably like it.

BUT DO NOT FEED HIM APRICOTS, PEACHES, PLUMS, CHERRIES or ANYTHING FROM THOSE TREES. The wilted leaves and fruit from those kinds of trees are poison to goats.

Hay (dried grass) is good, but fresh grass is just as good and trees and bushes are great!

Pellets are grains that have been ground up and mashed together when they are wet to make small pieces. They look like this.

alfalfa-pellets-200w.jpg

You don't need to feed pellets to have a healthy animal.

Remember, goats eat for a while and then they stop and rest. They key is to balance green leafy foods. That is what they need the most of. And then vegetables next, followed by grain. He should always have poop that looks like hard round raisins. If it starts to come out in clumps or looks like mud then he is getting too much grain or too much of the wrong kind of something. Cut back to just green leafy foods and trees and give him some yogurt.

If he gets sick for any reason, give him a cup of warm of water and molasses, mixed with some yogurt to settle his stomach.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@220kidsonhill
I'm afraid not very frequently.

@Queen Mum
Thank you so much for your help and yes when they start pooping the way they aren't supposed to, we give goats some local remedies which make them fine. BTW I have one or two peach and apricot trees in my house and never knew it was poisonous for goats.... will watch out now.

@elevan
hahahaha I knew someone would be researching on the goat specie I mentioned but not local trees... :D . Good try mate, like your style :cool:

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
And these goats taste really good :)