Goat feeding techniques to make it 100KG+

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Always keep in mind that what you feed can affect the end result meat.

An example for those in the US would be grain fed and grass fed beef....they both have different taste and texture...and not all breeds are conducive to being grass fed.

Yeah, I figured that others would be looking at the goat (and trust me I did) but I like to look at the things surrounding the goat too ;) Both fauna and flora interest me.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Glad that I joined this forum.... if anyone wants to see more local bulls/goats of pakistani breeds being sold for a religious festival, Eid-ul-Azha each year, here is a link http://www.facebook.com/Halal.Farms?sk=photos... surroundings are cool too.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Bakra said:
@220kidsonhill
I'm afraid not very frequently.

@Queen Mum
Thank you so much for your help and yes when they start pooping the way they aren't supposed to, we give goats some local remedies which make them fine. BTW I have one or two peach and apricot trees in my house and never knew it was poisonous for goats.... will watch out now.

@elevan
hahahaha I knew someone would be researching on the goat specie I mentioned but not local trees... :D . Good try mate, like your style :cool:
They can eat the leaves that are on the peach apricot trees but not the wilted leaves that fall from the trees until they are brown and dry. And they can not eat the fruit. They will strip the bark right off the trees and kill the trees. So you have to make sure they don't eat the leaves from the ground. What happens is when the leaves fall from the trees they wilt develop a poison called cyanide that will kill the goat. So it is better to put a BIG fence around the trees.

Everyone here loves goats and probably wants one now for their herd. I know I would really like one of your kind. I like big goats. My best milk goat weighs 113 kg. This is her picture...

SAM_0063.jpg

She is NOT a meat goat.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Bakra said:
Glad that I joined this forum.... if anyone wants to see more local bulls/goats of pakistani breeds being sold for a religious festival, Eid-ul-Azha each year, here is a link http://www.facebook.com/Halal.Farms?sk=photos... surroundings are cool too.
Some of the colors of those goats are just amazingly beautiful. And the ears are so LONG. The Beetal goats are wonderful. I love the spotted ones. I think the husks on from the peas and chickpeas would be a great addition to your feeding schedule.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Bakra said:
Some of the colors of those goats are just amazingly beautiful. And the ears are so LONG. The Beetal goats are wonderful. I love the spotted ones.
Absolutely beautiful animals. I do wonder about the evolution of the super long ears and their purpose. Do long ears help cool the goat? Or is there a known purpose for them?

Thank you for joining BYH and taking the time to share this wonderful breed with us.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Wikipedia said:
In most of Punjab and Sindh, the Indus plains have many fluvial landforms that support various natural biomes including tropical and subtropical dry and moist broadleaf forestry as well as tropical and xeric shrublands (deserts of Thal in Punjab, Tharparkar in Sindh and Cholistan in both). The tropical forests support mulberry (Morus alba), sheesham (Dalbergia sissoo), babul or kikar (Acacia nilotica) and species of Eucalyptus and Populus euphratica which provide timber. The subtropical dry forests support dominant tree species of phulai (Acacia modesta), kau (Olea cuspidata) and hopbush (Dodonaea viscosa). The xeric shrublands are home to vann (Salvadora oleoides), khejri (Prosopis cineraria) and kair (Capparis aphylla) which provide firewood. The riparain woodlands grow in narrow belts along the banks of River Indus and its tributaries. Main tree varieties are of sheesham and babul and main shrub varieties are reed beds and tamarisk (Tamarax dioica) bushes.
This is what Wikipedia had to say about the trees in Punjab region. I'll look them up on the goat poisonous trees list.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Wikipedia said:
In most of Punjab and Sindh, the Indus plains have many fluvial landforms that support various natural biomes including tropical and subtropical dry and moist broadleaf forestry as well as tropical and xeric shrublands (deserts of Thal in Punjab, Tharparkar in Sindh and Cholistan in both). The tropical forests support mulberry (Morus alba), sheesham (Dalbergia sissoo), babul or kikar (Acacia nilotica) and species of Eucalyptus and Populus euphratica which provide timber. The subtropical dry forests support dominant tree species of phulai (Acacia modesta), kau (Olea cuspidata) and hopbush (Dodonaea viscosa). The xeric shrublands are home to vann (Salvadora oleoides), khejri (Prosopis cineraria) and kair (Capparis aphylla) which provide firewood. The riparain woodlands grow in narrow belts along the banks of River Indus and its tributaries. Main tree varieties are of sheesham and babul and main shrub varieties are reed beds and tamarisk (Tamarax dioica) bushes.
This is what Wikipedia had to say about the trees in Punjab region. I'll look them up on the goat poisonous trees list.
Mulberry trees are abundant in the area I live as well as some kikar trees and I have seen the populus ephetra trees, they are called PAPULAR locally.
BTW nice goat you have. It's a large one but has small ears... In Pak, we have small "Tedy goats" which have ears similar to the ones of your goat... Larger breeds, Desi and Beetal, etc etc have long ears. I don't know if Desi Bakra/ Goat is the name of the specie itself, but generally we call a goat DESI BAKRA if it has long ears, long legs, is tall and heavy, but does not have crooked head like the Beetal. BTW how much milk does your goat produce/day on average... the average beetal goat produces 2-3 litres/day.
Thanks for your interest.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Beetal Bakra/Goat
291kg FAISALABAD BAKRA SHOW WINNER 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ese6jJuCs
280kg FAISALABAD BAKRA SHOW WINNER 2010
$6000 goat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=tMyrOq6VQoo
Keen goat lovers easily get their Beetals over 100kg and raise them as a side-business. People from different fields, like vegetable vendors, keep 1 or 2 babies near their stall, feed them from left-overs from the market, and after an year sell these for extra income... they fetch much higher rates at the occasion of Eid.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Mama gives 1.9 liters of milk two times each day or about 3.8 liters every day. She is an Alpine dairy goat. So she is specifically bred for milk. She is unusually large for her breed. Most goats of her type are much smaller. But they give a lot of milk.

There are several breeds of meat goats in the United States. Boer goats are a very popular breed of meat goat. They look more like the Beetal goats that you showed us. They have long ears and are much more thick in the body. They get very heavy. If you look at the section of the website Best Looking Buck, you will see some very good examples of excellant meat goats bucks.

Bakra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I had came across boer goats earlier on the net, fine looking animals they are.
I forgot to post my introduction......
My hobbies are keeping pets/livestock and hunting. I currently have 8 chickens, 13 ducks, 2 watch dogs, 3 guineafowls, 3 turkeys, 4 rabbits, and a goat which will be slaughtered the day on 7th Nov on Eid... then I'm planning to buy a baby male beetal goat for the next eid. All these are in my house, don't live on a farm, but in a city. In my village, I have a pregnant buffalo and a dry buffalo. Hope to learn new things from all of you.... Thanks for your help.
Edit: Couldn't find the section "Best looking Buck", could you post the link here? Thanks.