Goat Housing

Carolina Chicken Man

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I first got chickens, I built a pretty large run for them. But, I have an acre fenced in, so the run does not get used.

So, when I decided to get goats, to save a little work, I used part of my run to make there house.

Here is the Coop and Run
Coopandrun002.jpg

And here is how I built the goat house
GoatBabies010-1.jpg

I've added a gate to seperate the goat space from the chicken space.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I use a 12x14 stall in my barn and 10x40 overhang space. In about a week or so we will have about an acre fenced in for the goats. By the end of the year we will probably take the stall next to the goats and also make that for goats since we have 3 more coming.

558_goatpen1.jpg

558_goatpen2.jpg

558_goatpen3.jpg

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Karen, I love your goat space. We have a large bank barn and I was contemplating having a local welder make me goat panels for it to make "goat stalls" rather than use my little pony stall for them.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Thanks!

We use the blue corral panels from TSC and then put fencing over them. We already had the stalls up for alpacas but of course had to add the fencing so that the goats couldn't just walk right out of the stall. The alpacas prefer to be able to see everyone and we figured the goats would like that too. :D

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awesome, We can't get those at our TSC... Theres a guy locally who makes horse round pens, cattle panels, and so on so he can make us goat panels if we ask. I'm dying to get goats, we've got a field set up with buck fence and 5 lines of electric, and will have a barn yard for them.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We don't have a barn yet what is a good alternative for goats then?
Goats need a draft free, dry structure to keep them out of the weather and some good fencing to keep them safe but give them a place to play around. Depending on the size/breed of your goats even a large dog house can be used for two or three Pygmies/Nigis. Something larger for large breed goats would be needed.

Many people never have a barn - they just have a shed of some sort for their goats.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am using a massive wire dog crate with plywood attached to it :D Photos coming tonight!