Goat Milk Soap

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I got two big things of lye from Lowe's, but last I checked, they didn't carry it anymore. Or maybe it's just hidden, I dunno..

The brand I got was Roebic Crystal Drain Opener. Back when Red Devil either stopped making lye or it got really hard to find, quite a few soapmakers started frantically searching for an alternative...someone, at some point, queried Roebic about their lye-based drain opener to see if it was 100% lye.. Roebic made their MSDS available and, sure enough, it was 100% pure.

Shortly thereafter -- perhaps after an uptick in sales ;) -- the folks at Roebic made a very wise decision and actually put "100% Lye" on the canister label and began to advertise it that way. They obviously knew what people were up to and must have figured...hey, whatever moves product!

If you look at the product on their website , you'll see that they're sure to mention that it "contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda; lye)" in a fairly obvious hat-tip to the soapmakers of the world.

:D

trestlecreek

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, I haven't seen a container of lye that didn't have "100% Lye" on the container.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As an aside... :D ...Roebic also happens to make a root killer called "K77 Root Killer," which is 99% Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate..

Apparently, it's pure enough that some folks -- NOT ME -- but some folks use it to treat copper deficiency in goats.*

They should probably change their slogan to "Roebic -- The name to trust for all your homesteading chemical needs, and we do plumbing stuff too."

:gig

* -- I won't even go into how it's done because the information is already out there for all the world to see, and because I know you could kill one dead as a hammer if you do it wrong.. If you really wanna know, you're just gonna have to ferret it out for yourself.

:hide

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
trestlecreek said:
Yep, I haven't seen a container of lye that didn't have "100% Lye" on the container.
Perhaps not, but I'll bet you've seen drain-cleaner that didn't have 100% lye on the container!

:gig

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've wondered before how many people have epic failed at soapmaking because they keep combining milk, lard, and Drano?

:hide

DuckLady

Loving the herd life
Administrator
Reaction score
I was thrilled to find 100% lye at the hardware store.

It was sold as a drain cleaner, but it was the exact same as Red Devil....100% lye.

I used to get it in Portland OR, but then they outlawed it.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have found a place down in Austin I can order 2 lbs at a time but it's like $30 + $15 shipping!! I may have to bite the bullet tho.... :/

Latest posts