Goat Milk Soap

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have asked at the Ace stores - they look at me like I have 3 heads...lol. Then they tell me to go to Gebo's and get the "LIME" there :rolleyes:

I even have quarts of milk saved in the freezer for when I do finally find some lye (or get someone to go in on an order of the stuff). So, who has a REALLY good recipe? The one I have sucks (lye, milk, lard) compared to some I have tried...

Would someone be willing to share a fantastic recipe?? :D :fl

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Nuttin' wrong with lye, milk, and lard! I use that and some tallow and it gets rave reviews. Of course, I have a fascination with how my grandmother did things. I have made it with veg oil in the past. I can get pig fat free from the local butcher and render it into poor quality lard that is excellent for soapmaking but not the best for piecrust. I purchase the leaf fat for that.

Blackbird

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a recipe and 'how to' on BYC in the Hobby section if any of you are interested.

I wouldn't recommend getting lye in the drain section unless it says 100% pure lye. Often times lye sold in the drain & pumming section has impurities such as aluminum and metal shavings. I don't think we want that in our soap..

Mini-M Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'd love to make goat milk soap! I've even been looking at soap molds...the only thing holding me back is that I don't have any goats!!!! :hit

That will be remedied this weekend, though! :lol:

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
I wouldn't recommend getting lye in the drain section unless it says 100% pure lye. Often times lye sold in the drain & pumming section has impurities such as aluminum and metal shavings. I don't think we want that in our soap..
Yep, make sure it's 100% pure! They can sneak ingredients in there that you don't want.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So I went to Ace hardware again yesterday, scouring for lye. The lady told me she has another lady that comes in ever so often that makes soap who orders hers online. Then she tells me that about a year and a half ago the EPA came in and removed ALL lye products and even some containing lye saying it was illegal for the stores to sell it any more..... :hu

Heavenly Springs Farm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I guess I am lucky. I have two place locally that sell lye. One is called Headly's which is family owned. The other one is a little country store that has everything you can think of. Good Luck to those looking for it. I had a hard time finding it until I looked at these two places.

Latest posts