Goat pics

Jared77

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Could that be because people are breeding on color and not type? Not trying to attack the OP on this, but that could explain why you've seen so many flashy goats that lack substance/type. That girl there though is a real head turner though.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I agree w/ you guys completely....difference is, some folks don't care as long as they get paid. (She wasn't born here...I bought her as a 'bummer'..dam rejected her.)
I knew I was taking a chance on a bummer, but hopefully she'll grow out ok.

Take Freeney here as a comparison...

Freeney818.jpg

He's one week younger than her...twice her size, and as you can see, growing WELL...(was over 50# at his 3 mo weigh in).

She is a fullblood. He is not.

In this case, I'm saying to heck w/ 'pedigree'....he DESERVES to be used for breeding...yes, his color is a factor, but his growth / hardiness has earned him the right to keep his manhood and be a buck.

Here is his half sister (same dad) - she is 2 wks older than Moonie and one week older than Freeney.

DallasDarlin.jpg

IMHO, even though those 2 aren't 'fullbloods', they are the 'better' goats.
I've been working on increasing the size / hardiness of black boers, seems to be working well....now I guess I'll work on the spotted ones.

Here's another of our black girls (aunt to freeney and the above doe) who I'm loving at 5 mos.

Austin-1.jpg

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Yeah, her mama was, too....I loved her dam but she was 4 teated. I kept thissun b/c she's 2 teated AND loooong AND black. She'll be bred to Bullitt (nice red boy) and the one below her will be bred to Freeney.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
Could that be because people are breeding on color and not type? Not trying to attack the OP on this, but that could explain why you've seen so many flashy goats that lack substance/type. That girl there though is a real head turner though.
I agree.

Dr. Pinkerton says "Your ugliest goat is your best producer. You wouldn't keep her around if she wasn't" That sums it up. An ugly goat has to earn her right to stay based on size, growth and birthing ease. The flashy ones get a pass.

Mooney, that beautiful girl of Kim's was bred by friends of mine. Wonderful people and always willing to help. They breed for spots and they can sell every kid they have for good money so why not? Right or wrong, that is the way it is........

I think Kim is going to develop some wonderful spotted boers. She has the building blocks in place and she knows how to put them together.

Latest posts