Goat Rolling her neck around - just playing?

Dapplepony

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My doe (Mandie) does this all the time. When I see her doing it, I saw in a funny, high pitched voice, "UPside DOWn!".

hannahbanana3

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My goats always do it, I dont know why. Just a goat thing.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My husband calls this "Phantom Horn Scratching" - because it looks like they would be scratching an itch with their horns... BUT NO ONE HERE HAS HORNS! He says it's like the phantom pains an amputee gets...but for disbudded goats...then gives me the sad face and reminds me "Because you MAKE me disbud them they try their whole lives to scratch an itch they cannot reach..." and then he itches the back of the goat in question...

I think I've seen every goat here and at a few friends homes do this at some point, maybe DH is right? I hate to admit it when he is... :hide

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The only time my goats do it is when they are scratching an itch with their horns. Sorry. They're shedding now, and it's really funny to see the tufts of hair that they pull free with their horns that either stick for forever or float away on the wind.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:
My husband calls this "Phantom Horn Scratching" - because it looks like they would be scratching an itch with their horns... BUT NO ONE HERE HAS HORNS! He says it's like the phantom pains an amputee gets...but for disbudded goats...then gives me the sad face and reminds me "Because you MAKE me disbud them they try their whole lives to scratch an itch they cannot reach..." and then he itches the back of the goat in question...

I think I've seen every goat here and at a few friends homes do this at some point, maybe DH is right? I hate to admit it when he is... :hide
Your DH is a card. This made me laugh and laugh. He must have a very soft spot in his heart for disbudded goats. What does he do when you band a baby buck? Wait, don't answer that.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He doesn't band - that's ALL me! had to do a few last year...only had one that acted a fool over it...and I heard him saying over the baby monitor "I'd cut it that rubber band off little fella, but she'd band ME next if I did" when he got home that night watching him...he REALLY likes to heckle me with the farm stuff...and barely does all that much of it really!

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
EggsForIHOP said:
He doesn't band - that's ALL me! had to do a few last year...only had one that acted a fool over it...and I heard him saying over the baby monitor "I'd cut it that rubber band off little fella, but she'd band ME next if I did" when he got home that night watching him...he REALLY likes to heckle me with the farm stuff...and barely does all that much of it really!
Well, I hope he doesn't scratch their phantom boy places for them.

EggsForIHOP

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
LOL - no, but I think that night he said a little prayer I would lose the bander...because i DID when we moved!

melody

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
:lol: I was just going to post something about this. One of my girls does this (I have 2 Nig Dw.) She is the larger and both got great report cards for their 1 yo check up. I assumed it was a natural behavior..and indeed reminds me of ME and my neck issues...always stretching,rolling. When I watch her it makes me thing that this is one of the behaviors that made scaredy-cats believe that these were the "devil's" animals. She does look possessed sometimes!